Raptor Assault Worthwhile for Experienced Off-roaders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGrizzly

Reaction score
Hey all. My dad and I both recently bought Gen 2 Raptors and are for booked Raptor Assault for late March. However, we've already been on several offroading excursions just the two of us and have pushed our vehicles fairly hard on many occasions in many SoCal locales (Johnson Valley, Ocotillo Wells, El Mirage, Yucca Valley, Etc). At this point we are both curious as to whether or not it's worth the trip to Utah to engage in a more "structured" off-road environment when we're used to doing our own thing. Curious to hear what your opinions are.

gopher870

Reaction score
In short: no.

In long: If you have the time and means, it can be a nice distraction. If you've done any offloading at a quick pace, or done rock crawling, or trail riding where there's rocks on the path, then you've done the Raptor Assault course. Most of the time is spent explaining the electronic off-road settings. Unfortunately, you share the truck so your drive time is pretty limited as you get out to the trucks about nine and the class is done by four (and you eat lunch on the trail). There is a small jump you do twice. You end the day with a short rally course which was fun but you only get to do it twice.

It seems as though the class is just trying to sell you how great the Raptor is. To me it would make more sense to let people who don't own a Raptor to take the course. I think they would sell twice as many Raptors as they do now.

*****If you've never done offloading and it interest you, then I would recommend going. It will help you learn some basics and get you off the pavement. It can be a fun getaway. Especially if you can make it part of a longer trip or family vacation. Utah has some great scenery and places to visit. If you have the means to go out just for the class then even better. Some might be disappointed if they pay for a flight and rental car and they have a tight budget.

They do provide pictures and a swag bag at the end of the day.

PGP39255.JPG PGP39304.JPG PGP39418.JPG PGP47725.JPG

Other things to do in Utah...........

View media item 15402

OP
OP
MrGrizzly

MrGrizzly

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed answer--it's truly appreciated. I think I'll save some $$ on the plane ticket and just plan another trip closer to home.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worth it IMO. Like @gopher870 mentioned, turn it into a trip and it'll be worth it. My girlfriend and I spent 3 days in SLC and then drove to CA, tons of scenery, exploration, and food to enjoy. Would do it again.

If you're an experienced off-roader the course itself won't challenge you per se, however I'm sure you'll learn something. The atmosphere is fun and light-hearted, and the instructors are great. They'll answer any and all questions you have and truly care about you having the best experience possible.

Even if you are an experienced off-roader, you likely haven't had your own truck 32-33° sideways and haven't descended ≥20°. There's definitely value to the course and they'll let you hammer on the truck so you can explore your own limits and find the truck's.

If I were in your shoes I'd plan a road trip up with your dad, hit Moab and whatever other spots you want, do the course with your dad so you get your own truck together, enjoy SLC for a day or two and drive back.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to schedule to my Raptor Assault class, but then my wife suggested, "Why don't we all just take your new truck to Moab(where I've talked about going for years) to see what it can do, and make a long vacation of it?" So, that's what we did; both in the Summer of 2019, and then again in the Summer of 2020. We had so much fun through Moab, White Rim and other trails in Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Yellowstone! Definitely memorable trips with some great off-road fun! I think I would have been bored with the Assault course, and not using my own vehicle.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing, but decided to go as I had never done any Baja-style driving, just lots of crawling. I really enjoyed it. But I didn't have to get on a plane, it's only a nine hour drive from here and I rolled it into a week long trip. Being able to quiz the instructors was worth it right there. I even learned stuff about crawling since I've only ever bought manual trannys, so I got to learn all about left foot braking. I do wish they had skipped the jump and let us do a couple more laps on the course, but I'm in the minority there.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is what you make of it. It is a great opportunity to see some different scenery and trail conditions. You can also get very acquainted with the Raptor... Someone else's Raptor.

Just because you are a self proclaimed Trail Boss... Does not make you the master of all Trails. Too cool for school. Plenty of egos.

You probably shouldn't go.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've won a national driving competition and more often than not win most driving competitions I enter (road course type stuff) and have done track days/time trials for years, but I still like going to "free" autocrosses and other events to beat on other people's cars. It's always fun ragging out someone else's vehicle. :D

I'm not as experienced off-road, but I really enjoyed the Raptor Assault school and I also enjoyed getting a new Rubicon Wrangler two-door rental car and driving that on the same trails as the Raptor school (I dropped pins on the Raptor drive) after the school ended. Anyway, it was really a fun, relaxing, enjoyable time.

If you think you're going to show up and be able to do your own thing and tell the instructors you're an "off-road driving expert" and want special attention, I'd stay home. But, if you want to go and just have fun and enjoy the area and scenery and a fun, well-organized school, then do it!

OP
OP
MrGrizzly

MrGrizzly

Reaction score
Appreciate all the responses and can say that I am truly on the fence, though leaning towards just taking the plunge and finding out for myself. I hope I didn't come off as some egotistical "trail boss" as I am far from being an expert. My time is limited as I have two little ones back home, so I just have to carefully pick and choose my outings. Thanks again though!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. My dad and I both recently bought Gen 2 Raptors and are for booked Raptor Assault for late March. However, we've already been on several offroading excursions just the two of us and have pushed our vehicles fairly hard on many occasions in many SoCal locales (Johnson Valley, Ocotillo Wells, El Mirage, Yucca Valley, Etc). At this point we are both curious as to whether or not it's worth the trip to Utah to engage in a more "structured" off-road environment when we're used to doing our own thing. Curious to hear what your opinions are.
i have never been since im a gen 1 owner, but i have had a couple gen 2 owners attend some of our events and they said they learned more about the trucks capabilities coming to our events than they did at raptor assault. they said raptor assault was more aboult learning the different modes of the truck over anything else. but like i said, i have never been. just ststing what i have been told a few times. but if you want to go play around afterwards, always a nice perk to go if you are hanging around the state