GEN 2 Plastic Oil pan #3 leaking. 70k miles. New pan every other oil change. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but when the Gen2 was launched and they had that cab off display they were questioned and criticized on video for the obvious cost cutting effort that everyone knew didn’t belong on a work truck or off road truck. They had good marketing talking points to justify it but let’s all be honest, nobody was believing it was a better part than a metal pan. Nobody. I’d submit that 90% of the truck buying population knew it was a substandard part, no matter how much buzzology you threw at it.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
FYI, Metal pan swap was documented already on the F150 Ecoboost forum. You don't need a lift. Just a floor jack to drop the dif a little to get to the rear stiffener pan bolts.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/metal-oil-pan-swap.80114/

I'm in the same situation, bought mine as a MFG buyback due to leaking pan that the same dealership failed to fix 4 times in a row. The pan leaks but in the last two months has not dripped once on the concrete, so it's more a seap than a leak. It goes to my local Ford Dealer Thursday and if they try to return it to me in less than 4 days I'll bitch them out for not following the damn TSB.

My backup plan has always been the $300 pan from RMB but figured I would give the local dealer a shot first.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are most of these pans leaking, I think my 17 has one, 17000 miles passenger side I can see an oil drip on one of the pan bolts, grease and oil running upward and rearward wondering if it’s leaking, higher on the block? Pretty certain the valve covers aren’t leaking, just never seen oil “run” upward but possible I guess with wind

Last edited:

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are most of these pans leaking, I think my 17 has one, 17000 miles passenger side I can see an oil drip on one of the pan bolts, grease and oil running upward and rearward wondering if it’s leaking, higher on the block? Pretty certain the valve covers aren’t leaking, just never seen oil “run” upward but possible I guess with wind
At my last oil change my private mechanic said he saw basically the same thing you described. Small leak from one of the bolts, little bit of oil on the underside of the skid plate. (2018) it’s not enough to see a change on the dipstick, I’m still in he normal range 3000 miles post oil change.

Mine goes in Tuesday to a dealer I haven’t used before. But, with all of the stories here of multiple attempts to get this right, I emailed a few service managers in my area and basically interviewed them. This guy had all the right answers, and gave me the best vibe. We’ll see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta a road trip coming up, hoping my dealer can squeeze me in!!! If I drop it Monday hopefully I can get it back Wednesday,,,same here no change in dipstick

Bad V2

Reaction score

Passenger side seep, both times. I had mine fixed twice within a year. Hopefully, this time they did it right.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side seep, both times. I had mine fixed twice within a year. Hopefully, this time they did it right.
Interesting...I have no idea where mine is...I’ll ask when I drop it off tomorrow...be interesting to see if passenger side also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk