Oil consumption? 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the TSB that describes the issue (and it says to wait 15 mins). I'm going through this right now. PITA bringing it to the dealer every 200 miles.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163578-0001.pdf

"9. Advise the customer that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 mi) or weekly, using the revised marks as drawn on the oil level indicator. Remind the customer the engine needs a minimum 15 minute drain back, the vehicle must be placed on a level surface for an accurate reading and the oil level indicator must be firmly seated in the tube prior to taking the reading"

That is why the TSB has the dealer mark the dipstick; it’s comparing oil used vs actual crankcase oil level. Has it consumed any oil during the test?

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good question - I am only in week 2 of this process and the tech says "it is looking good". Next week I am going to ask them to be more specific. I suppose I can measure it myself at home too.
Part of my problem at the moment too is that working at home means I am not always driving 200 miles in a week anymore!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is a good question - I am only in week 2 of this process and the tech says "it is looking good". Next week I am going to ask them to be more specific. I suppose I can measure it myself at home too.
Part of my problem at the moment too is that working at home means I am not always driving 200 miles in a week anymore!

What was the original concern that had you bring it in? Check Engine Light/DTCs or did you manually check the oil and found it to be low?

1wayraptor

Reaction score
Did my first oil change at 750 miles. Currently at 3600 and ready for another one at 4000 miles.

My father has a 2001 F-150 with 450k miles on the same motor. He changes the oil every 3000 miles.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my first oil change at 750 miles. Currently at 3600 and ready for another one at 4000 miles.

My father has a 2001 F-150 with 450k miles on the same motor. He changes the oil every 3000 miles.

Just curious, what brand/type of oil you and your father running?

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No burning oil here. 2020 running Motul Sport Ester 5W-40. 5k miles, Cobb Stage 2 with TCM, intake, CSV IC, AMS Boost Tubes, catch can, BOV, SPD turbo adapters.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the original concern that had you bring it in? Check Engine Light/DTCs or did you manually check the oil and found it to be low?

I've had two occasions where the truck gave me a low oil pressure warning (And went into a limp mode). The first time the dealer found the oil to be low and topped it off. The truck was only a few months old so the dealer blamed the factory for not filling it correctly. I don't think there was a TSB back then.
The second time was just recently - under 3000 miles since the last oil change. Took it to the dealer who said it was indeed low on oil and are now following the plan in the TSB.

rightway

Reaction score
Since this post is about oil and some discussions on measuring it. I read the earlier TSB. Any body come up with a FORD reason why the dip stick looks like this? Please note photo.

The owners manual indicates don't add oil till it gets to the bottom hole. I don't fully understand the crosshatch, the gap and then the top hole. I know one of those (in photo) green and black arrows is a full mark but why?Oil Dip Stick.jpg

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My early build 19 , Checked oil when brought home dealer it was full , drove it like i stole it . First 500 miles , it was down a quart , added a quart . Drove it fairly normal till i hit 1000 miles oil level full . changed oil. Drove to 2500 miles oil full. changed oil . next oil change 5000 miles , No oil usage full. Now at 6500 miles oil at full mark. Will change oil at 7500 miles. I change oil every 2500 miles . Cheap and worth it to me.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My early build 19 , Checked oil when brought home dealer it was full , drove it like i stole it . First 500 miles , it was down a quart , added a quart . Drove it fairly normal till i hit 1000 miles oil level full . changed oil. Drove to 2500 miles oil full. changed oil . next oil change 5000 miles , No oil usage full. Now at 6500 miles oil at full mark. Will change oil at 7500 miles. I change oil every 2500 miles . Cheap and worth it to me.

I may end up following your lead and just move to more frequent oil changes. On the other hand, if I have valve covers that need to be fixed, I'd like that to happen since I imagine there are other consequences from burning oil.
Changing the oil more frequently is a cheap workaround, but kind of like saying I will drive slower if my brakes are having problems.