Oil consumption? 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADY

Reaction score
I had the valve cover replaced on my 2018 earlier this year and sadly it looks like I'm down over a quart 2,000 miles later. Back to the dealer for another go around.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 50k on mine, earlier in the trucks life, I had to add some oil but nothing after that.

Roddy

Reaction score
Howdy fellas, first time posting to the thread hoping I can contribute back taken all the support Ive received from just reading others posts.

I too have had quite an ongoing issue with the oil consumption in my 2018 (currently at 35k mls) and have had numerous visits to the dealership with failed repairs. Ive found an issue in cylinder #2 when I decided to check the plugs after the first failed repair at the dealership. There was quite a bit of oil leaking into the spark plug and none in the other 5. Ive been to the dealership 3 times for the same ongoing issue which they can't seem to figure out and resolve, always in the same #2 cylinder. They've addressed the cam phaser issue early on around 10k mls, as well as cylinder heads, gaskets, etc. still leaking. Now Im waiting on an oppening for my 4th visit regarding the same issue, hoping my service manager can get me in before my warranty voids. They apparently only have 1 hard line tech left with multiply 3.5 engine jobs, so God knows when.

IMG_4899.jpeg IMG_4901.jpeg IMG_4904.jpeg IMG_4905.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the valve cover replaced on my 2018 earlier this year and sadly it looks like I'm down over a quart 2,000 miles later. Back to the dealer for another go around.

How are you checking it? To get an accurate reading, you need to let the truck sit for at least a few hours, preferably overnight. Otherwise you're not taking into account all of the oil in the cylinder heads that needs to drain back down to the pan.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Howdy fellas, first time posting to the thread hoping I can contribute back taken all the support Ive received from just reading others posts.

I too have had quite an ongoing issue with the oil consumption in my 2018 (currently at 35k mls) and have had numerous visits to the dealership with failed repairs. Ive found an issue in cylinder #2 when I decided to check the plugs after the first failed repair at the dealership. There was quite a bit of oil leaking into the spark plug and none in the other 5. Ive been to the dealership 3 times for the same ongoing issue which they can't seem to figure out and resolve, always in the same #2 cylinder. They've addressed the cam phaser issue early on around 10k mls, as well as cylinder heads, gaskets, etc. still leaking. Now Im waiting on an oppening for my 4th visit regarding the same issue, hoping my service manager can get me in before my warranty voids. They apparently only have 1 hard line tech left with multiply 3.5 engine jobs, so God knows when.

View attachment 150522 View attachment 150523 View attachment 150527 View attachment 150528

It sounds like the dealer is doing a lot of guessing instead of diagnosing the issue. Do you have any mods?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is am ecoboost issue. It's not on other engines. I am not picking on the ecoboost... Just has all the issues. Don't assume..........
BS....there are way more 2018+ 5.0 consuming oil than there are Ecoboosts consuming oil.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you checking it? To get an accurate reading, you need to let the truck sit for at least a few hours, preferably overnight. Otherwise you're not taking into account all of the oil in the cylinder heads that needs to drain back down to the pan.

Here is the TSB that describes the issue (and it says to wait 15 mins). I'm going through this right now. PITA bringing it to the dealer every 200 miles.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163578-0001.pdf

"9. Advise the customer that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 mi) or weekly, using the revised marks as drawn on the oil level indicator. Remind the customer the engine needs a minimum 15 minute drain back, the vehicle must be placed on a level surface for an accurate reading and the oil level indicator must be firmly seated in the tube prior to taking the reading"