2020 - Engine shuts off - fueling issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
Any help would be very much appreciated! The dealer told me they "black-flagged" my truck in the Ford system so I'm on my own.

Year: 2020 (screw)
Mileage: 43K
Modifications related to the engine:
- Intercooler
- AFE intake
- Cobb tuner (uninstalled after 1st incident)
- Turbosmart BOV (after 1st incident)
Tire Size: 37x12.5

CODES:
P00C6 - Fuel rail pressure too low - engine cranking (bank 1)
P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire detected
P025A - Fuel Pump Module A Control Circuit / Open
P05A1 - no description
U0109 - Lost communication with Fuel Pump Control Module A

Also, noted low fuel pressure - low side, but can't find the code it generated.

I first experienced an issue while in Mexico in Oct. 2022. I was on a thick sugar sandy road, mid-high boost pressure, 100+F outside. All gauges were reading OK. Suddenly, CEL and powertrain malfunction light appeared. The truck lost power as the dashboard was lighting up and as I came to a stop, the engine seemed to misfire and promptly shut off. I attempted to crank engine twice and the truck wouldn't start. I plugged in Forscan and pulled a list of DTCs, saved them, and cleared them to try to get it fired back up to move to a safe place, to no avail. I figured I'd check the engine oil and waited about 20 minutes to attempt starting again; engine oil was a little low so I topped it off- burned about a quart and a half in 1000 miles. After waiting those 20 minutes, the engine fired up, I cleared the codes once again and didn't have any further issues on my way off the road. Over the following week, I kept a close eye on the engine and took it easy.

After the trip, I sent the truck to a reputable shop in TX for diagnosis but they could not replicate the issue. In the process, they replaced the factory BOV as we were also looking at the turbos and oil consumption issue. Factory BOV was replaced with a turbosmart and then I shipped the truck home.

I then took the truck to a Ford dealer to replace an o2 sensor and I offered to pay for diagnosis as they were clear about not covering anything related to the engine under warranty, citing the intercooler and intake. They called me and told me to come pickup the truck saying that the head service manager told the mechanic to stop work immediately. When I went to meet with the service advisor and tech, I asked if the service manager understood that I offered to pay for diagnosis and repairs. They said there was definitely an electrical issue and pointed to the lighting wiring harness connected to the upfitter switch wires in the engine compartment and told me any connections made aftermarket to the factory wiring harness would prompt issues with the PCM. I showed them the Ford owner's manual showing the purpose of the upfitter switches and wiring and no joke, they told me that they should not be used and repeated why. Incidentally, they cut open the PCM wiring harness in the passenger steer tire wheel well and cut about 10 wires with a razor knife, and refused to repair it (I had to splice the wires back together and all codes disappeared). I'll quit my bitching.

Since then, I replaced the fuel pump driver module but the issue has persisted. I don't drive the truck frequently but the issue seems to persist. If the truck is running for 30-60 minutes, it will shut off at idle. If I hop on the road to head to my farm (45 min) and cruise at 80-100, the problem is guaranteed to occur.

The weirdest part is how the truck runs perfectly fine around town until it runs for an extended period of time or runs at highway speeds for an extended period of time.

Screenshots from the Forscan oscillator tool showing fuel pressure-related metrics.

BEFORE FAULT (note FLP is in Kpa below = 69.4PSI - engine on and about to fault)

Fno.JPG
IMMEDIATELY AFTER FAULT: Ignition still on 99Kpa = 14.35PSI
Fyes.JPG

Video as I try to restart after engine shuts off:

View attachment IMG_2270.MOV

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with fuel problems.

Have you tried a different key? How about retune back to stock? What have you done to the electrical system? Any fuse taps or scotchlocks? Did you put a gauge on the fuel rail and compare to what forescan shows? My first thought is the fuel pump is overheating.

@FordTechOne will be a great resource.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, they cut open the PCM wiring harness in the passenger steer tire wheel well and cut about 10 wires with a razor knife, and refused to repair it (I had to splice the wires back together and all codes disappeared). I'll quit my bitching.
What kind of wrench monkeys were working on it?

OP
OP
Ahayslinger

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with fuel problems.

Have you tried a different key? How about retune back to stock? What have you done to the electrical system? Any fuse taps or scotchlocks? Did you put a gauge on the fuel rail and compare to what forescan shows? My first thought is the fuel pump is overheating.

@FordTechOne will be a great resource.

@Nex, thanks for the warm welcome. Any particular pictures that would be helpful?

Q/As:

1.) Have you tried a different key? : No - worth trying?
2.) Retune back to stock? : Yes, I did. Incidentally, Wish I kept the factory airbox because that's been a long-desired move.
3.) Any fuse taps or scotchlocks: Negative. Only splicing has been done with upfitter switch wiring harness in the engine compartment and in the passenger kickpanel
4.) Gauge on fuel rail to compare? Negative. Good call though. Do they still make Haynes repair / workshop manuals for trucks? I'd like to have something of the sort to quickly find my way around.

Thanks for your feedback on the fuel pump overheating. I truly feel this is related to the fuel pump or electrical service to the pump.

OP
OP
Ahayslinger

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
Score another one for the $tealerships… should be open season on most associated with them (upfitter comment).

LOL. They pointed out the wiring and said it was an issue that they had uncovered. When they cut the factory wrap off with a razor knife, it fileted some wires. The truck was in limp mode leaving the dealer with about a minute's worth of dashboard prompts. Those went away after I fixed the wires.

Here's the bottom side of the harness when I picked it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1717 3 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1717 3 Medium.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 30

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
It is customary to post pictures of your truck while introducing yourself on FRF. No photo proof that you have a Raptor then it is assumed you are driving a prius (any vehicle that is not a Raptor).

The different key would eliminate the key fob being the issue.

OP
OP
Ahayslinger

Ahayslinger

Reaction score
It is customary to post pictures of your truck while introducing yourself on FRF. No photo proof that you have a Raptor then it is assumed you are driving a prius (any vehicle that is not a Raptor).

The different key would eliminate the key fob being the issue.
Noted! Wish I took more pics... Here's all I've got.

Seriously, the key fob? I'm not sure if this is a first-time poster prank.:gr_grin:

First one is proof that I exist. IWE actuator sheared off and axle shaft was slopping around. That was a great day.
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_5064 Medium.jpegE215BEEF-F548-4EE1-9100-4B99245AFBFB Medium.jpeg
12C81933-F7A0-4D9C-BFFA-79896B88C6C1 Medium.jpeg
IMG_4027.jpeg

Last edited: