New engine and build question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomkirkland4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input on my engine selection after it blew earlier this week. It lasted my 91k miles, not too bad…
I decided to go with a new 3.5 long block from Ford. I really wanted to do a V8 swap but due to concerns with reliability and passing emissions and inspections in Canada and the United States it made more sense to go with another 3.5. I also wanted to try RMB but I have time constraints and was worried it would take too long. I had no concerns with the quality of his product, he’s very knowledgeable but I need my truck buttoned up in the next 3 months.

Thanks to the guys at SPD and Goose for their insights and helping me select the right path. A little bummed I can’t do E85 because it’s not readily available in Canada. But we will see what we can make happen with 93.

Does anyone know what comes with a new long block? I’m taking this opportunity to give everything a refresh. Do I need to order the following items or do they come with the long block?

• Starter
  • Water pump
  • Belt
  • Hoses
  • Timing chain
  • Alternator
  • Valve covers
  • Fuel pump
  • Coil packs

Anything else I should consider ordering?

Currently on order
  • Full race Garrett max turbos
  • Full race form line exhaust manifolds
  • 1050 cc injectors
  • AMS charge tubes
  • Goose tune
  • SPD downpipe with turbo adapters
  • SPD HX muffler
  • NGK plugs
  • 170 thermostat

Already installed on truck
  • Cobb stage 2
  • Cobb IC
  • Cobb intake
  • SPD Trombone
  • High clearance exhaust
As always thank you!

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a sold build. Very similar to mine except for the block.

Not sure on what comes with the long block maybe someone can help you with that.

New oil and coolant lines for the turbos? Bigger couplers for the turbo inlet?

OP
OP
T

Tomkirkland4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a sold build. Very similar to mine except for the block.

Not sure on what comes with the long block maybe someone can help you with that.

New oil and coolant lines for the turbos? Bigger couplers for the turbo inlet?
Thanks! I’ll pick up the new oil and coolant lines, good idea. I ordered the turbo couplers with the other stuff but forgot to list it.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
after lots of trial and error on my end, I'd probably recommend going with a higher GPM water pump and a 190 degree thermostat, or, I'd opt for an endurance racing validated 170 tstat. The commonly available 170s that ive tried ( and i tried all of them) , tend to get a bit "sticky" after a few thousand miles and in some cases, either stop opening all the way, or get stuck more open than you want them. depending on where you live an dhow hard you push the truck, it could be no bueno for you.

i would strongly recommend going with AN turbo lines. factory lines can and will start to weep regularly, and when they go using the garretts, them spicy turbos will be complete junk. ( then run way hotter than stockers and any cooling interruption roaches em.)

If you want the best timing setup that you can muster, buy the entire Ford GT setup ( you have to do it all or nothing)... this will run you a little shy of $10K unless you get wholesale prcing.

i wouldnt do the ams tubes. use factory,. The ams tubes are larger diameter and that seems cool at face value, but you're losing velocity, which is what is more important to these motors ( including in the heads)

Id be interested to hear if you ever actually get your manifolds from full race, and if you do, whether they crack or not. would be cool if they finally got that all sorted.

Unless its a street queen, find a better intake that isnt cobb. their filters are still hot garbage, just like theyve aways been. Find something that takes a donaldson filter. you'll thank me when you dont have to struggle with a caked up filter, or a motor with sandblasted internals.

lastly, if you're gonna do injectors and wick the thing up, do yourself a real solid and bite the bullet to upgrade the fuel pumps ( plural). When the stockers crap out mid-full throttle fun, again, boom goes the dynamite. yes, there are multiple fuel pumps in these trucks. while you're at it, buy fresh fuel rails too, they get gummed up like arteries.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after lots of trial and error on my end, I'd probably recommend going with a higher GPM water pump and a 190 degree thermostat, or, I'd opt for an endurance racing validated 170 tstat. The commonly available 170s that ive tried ( and i tried all of them) , tend to get a bit "sticky" after a few thousand miles and in some cases, either stop opening all the way, or get stuck more open than you want them. depending on where you live an dhow hard you push the truck, it could be no bueno for you.

Unless its a street queen, find a better intake that isnt cobb. their filters are still hot garbage, just like theyve aways been. Find something that takes a donaldson filter. you'll thank me when you dont have to struggle with a caked up filter, or a motor with sandblasted internals.

I run the SPD 170 and have had no issues. Pretty happy with it as it solved my running too hot issues in the middle of the Baja in July. Also you are spot on with the Cobb intake. Thing is a POS! I have to carry multiple filters on trips and wash them and hope they dry in time. These trucks hate a wet filter. I need to get rid of this Cobb and want to go back to the stock intake.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input on my engine selection after it blew earlier this week. It lasted my 91k miles, not too bad…
I decided to go with a new 3.5 long block from Ford. I really wanted to do a V8 swap but due to concerns with reliability and passing emissions and inspections in Canada and the United States it made more sense to go with another 3.5. I also wanted to try RMB but I have time constraints and was worried it would take too long. I had no concerns with the quality of his product, he’s very knowledgeable but I need my truck buttoned up in the next 3 months.

Thanks to the guys at SPD and Goose for their insights and helping me select the right path. A little bummed I can’t do E85 because it’s not readily available in Canada. But we will see what we can make happen with 93.

Does anyone know what comes with a new long block? I’m taking this opportunity to give everything a refresh. Do I need to order the following items or do they come with the long block?

• Starter
  • Water pump
  • Belt
  • Hoses
  • Timing chain
  • Alternator
  • Valve covers
  • Fuel pump
  • Coil packs

Anything else I should consider ordering?

Currently on order
  • Full race Garrett max turbos
  • Full race form line exhaust manifolds
  • 1050 cc injectors
  • AMS charge tubes
  • Goose tune
  • SPD downpipe with turbo adapters
  • SPD HX muffler
  • NGK plugs
  • 170 thermostat

Already installed on truck
  • Cobb stage 2
  • Cobb IC
  • Cobb intake
  • SPD Trombone
  • High clearance exhaust
As always thank you!
Why not a long block from mountune or RMB? You can get them with stronger sleeves, mains, better bearings and balanced within a gram .

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I run the SPD 170 and have had no issues. Pretty happy with it as it solved my running too hot issues in the middle of the Baja in July. Also you are spot on with the Cobb intake. Thing is a POS! I have to carry multiple filters on trips and wash them and hope they dry in time. These trucks hate a wet filter. I need to get rid of this Cobb and want to go back to the stock intake.

The SPD thermostats are Motorcraft resold with the SPD logo etched on the flange. They’re top quality parts from Ford. The Raptor/SPD tax adds more than a few bucks, but they are the “best” IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter