New engine and build question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input on my engine selection after it blew earlier this week. It lasted my 91k miles, not too bad…
I decided to go with a new 3.5 long block from Ford. I really wanted to do a V8 swap but due to concerns with reliability and passing emissions and inspections in Canada and the United States it made more sense to go with another 3.5. I also wanted to try RMB but I have time constraints and was worried it would take too long. I had no concerns with the quality of his product, he’s very knowledgeable but I need my truck buttoned up in the next 3 months.

Thanks to the guys at SPD and Goose for their insights and helping me select the right path. A little bummed I can’t do E85 because it’s not readily available in Canada. But we will see what we can make happen with 93.

Does anyone know what comes with a new long block? I’m taking this opportunity to give everything a refresh. Do I need to order the following items or do they come with the long block?

• Starter
  • Water pump
  • Belt
  • Hoses
  • Timing chain
  • Alternator
  • Valve covers
  • Fuel pump
  • Coil packs

Anything else I should consider ordering?

Currently on order
  • Full race Garrett max turbos
  • Full race form line exhaust manifolds
  • 1050 cc injectors
  • AMS charge tubes
  • Goose tune
  • SPD downpipe with turbo adapters
  • SPD HX muffler
  • NGK plugs
  • 170 thermostat

Already installed on truck
  • Cobb stage 2
  • Cobb IC
  • Cobb intake
  • SPD Trombone
  • High clearance exhaust
As always thank you!
I know the Cobb and tune increase power and the IC you can keep in longer, but does all that other stuff help?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Why not a long block from mountune or RMB? You can get them with stronger sleeves, mains, better bearings and balanced within a gram .
go look at my build thread. My motor, trans and install was damn near $50K ( yes it was a full build with all of the gucci stuff and a billet torque convertor/upgraded trans). Maybe mountune is a better experience, but if i have to do it again, my truck will have an LS running a standalone, or a 7.3.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I run the SPD 170 and have had no issues. Pretty happy with it as it solved my running too hot issues in the middle of the Baja in July. Also you are spot on with the Cobb intake. Thing is a POS! I have to carry multiple filters on trips and wash them and hope they dry in time. These trucks hate a wet filter. I need to get rid of this Cobb and want to go back to the stock intake.
i went with the 170 for the exact same reason. (having to stop and let the truck catch up when baja temps were into the triple digits) after a while, i started having issues with the tstat, replaced it twice, got better with each change, and got tired of checking the tstat being a prep item for every trip. once i procured a higher flow water pump and went back to the 190, I stopped having colder weather issues and the truck stayed nice and cool in triple digits. probably not an issue if you never see temps below 45F, but it was an issue for me.

as an aside, nothing is more awesome looking than your shocks looking like theyre smoking when you run lots of whoops in 35 degree weather.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I
i went with the 170 for the exact same reason. (having to stop and let the truck catch up when baja temps were into the triple digits) after a while, i started having issues with the tstat, replaced it twice, got better with each change, and got tired of checking the tstat being a prep item for every trip. once i procured a higher flow water pump and went back to the 190, I stopped having colder weather issues and the truck stayed nice and cool in triple digits. probably not an issue if you never see temps below 45F, but it was an issue for me.

as an aside, nothing is more awesome looking than your shocks looking like theyre smoking when you run lots of whoops in 35 degree weather.
SOURCE OF HIGHER FLOW WATER PUMP?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
go look at my build thread. My motor, trans and install was damn near $50K ( yes it was a full build with all of the gucci stuff and a billet torque convertor/upgraded trans). Maybe mountune is a better experience, but if i have to do it again, my truck will have an LS running a standalone, or a 7.3.
Also, you have link to your build thread?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was asking OP not you. But I’d be happy to look at it w/ @Old-Raptor-guy

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, you have link to your build thread?

the donkey probably threw you off with all the goat talk..

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having seen many 3.5 eco boost go over 280k miles, 91k is definitely low. But I have seen diamonds cut steel and diamonds shatter. So how is it used/abused makes a difference for sure.

Just saying. Definitely need more details!!