2020 Raptor New Short Block - Oil in Cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
Update: short block was put in @ 49k miles - 2 cylinders we shot, among other things. Now, @ 58k miles it’s doing the same thing it was doing before the short block was put in except now I can clearly smell coolant and coolant is low. Was smoking just like it was, took to dealer so I could replicate it in person and they said for me to bring it in tomorrow and they’ll give me a new truck until they talk to ford to see what they want to do. Should have put a long block in it to begin with and I wouldn’t be in this situation but we’ll see what they say.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Damn. sorry to hear that, but I hope they don’t give you continued static and get you back in the Rap soon.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Update: short block was put in @ 49k miles - 2 cylinders we shot, among other things. Now, @ 58k miles it’s doing the same thing it was doing before the short block was put in except now I can clearly smell coolant and coolant is low. Was smoking just like it was, took to dealer so I could replicate it in person and they said for me to bring it in tomorrow and they’ll give me a new truck until they talk to ford to see what they want to do. Should have put a long block in it to begin with and I wouldn’t be in this situation but we’ll see what they say.
Sounds to me like your dealer technicians aren’t. You drove it 9k miles and now it’s broken the same way, only worse. Did you ever check the oil? After reading this thread again, it seems to me that you should indeed trade it in for a Prius. The engine only runs part-time under very little load, so you can’t f*ck it up.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
Sounds to me like your dealer technicians aren’t. You drove it 9k miles and now it’s broken the same way, only worse. Did you ever check the oil? After reading this thread again, it seems to me that you should indeed trade it in for a Prius. The engine only runs part-time under very little load, so you can’t f*ck it up.
Oh yeah, checked it often and it was always normal. What wasn’t was the coolant.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
Update: truck still at ford for same smoking issues as before. While there, they found the torque converter in trans was bad, so they replaced. The software for the main screen was corrupted, so they updated and fixed. Ford is requiring the truck to be run 1k miles before they will replace engine again, so the service director is driving it every day because he drives about 200 miles a day. It would take me about 1.5-2months to drive 1k miles, so they have had me in a new truck for just over 1 month. Still no definitive reason for why the new engine is bad. They say a lot of 2020 models have these issues because they were built during Covid.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: truck still at ford for same smoking issues as before. While there, they found the torque converter in trans was bad, so they replaced. The software for the main screen was corrupted, so they updated and fixed. Ford is requiring the truck to be run 1k miles before they will replace engine again, so the service director is driving it every day because he drives about 200 miles a day. It would take me about 1.5-2months to drive 1k miles, so they have had me in a new truck for just over 1 month. Still no definitive reason for why the new engine is bad. They say a lot of 2020 models have these issues because they were built during Covid.
I just read through this entire thread. What a shit show on many levels.

The whole "built during covid" is getting old. Especially since the engine you have now wasn't built during Covid.

The biggest thing I see with Covid vehicles is the electronics being a crap shoot. Figure it has something to do with the chip shortage.

Mechanically no better or worse than before Covid.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
Still have the same issue but now the truck is making excess condensation in exhaust, along with oil burn, to the point water blows out of exhaust in significant quantity - half a gallon at least. It looks like someone put a water hose in exhaust - it’s that much water. I have a video of it from the dealership but it’s too large to attach so I took screen shots. The smoke is blue at first, then turns white after about 30 seconds flooring it. The only things they haven’t replaced are the heads and turbos - they’ve put a new short block and transmission in it. No coolant is leaking. Oil is low because of amount of oil being burned through exhaust. There is another raptor at the same dealership that’s doing the exact same thing as mine and they can’t figure it out. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1099.png
    IMG_1099.png
    762.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1100.png
    IMG_1100.png
    780.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1101.png
    IMG_1101.png
    769.1 KB · Views: 9