Octane Poll

What octane for the Raptor

• Less than 87

• Higher than 93

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
93 from a Top Tier station (usually Sunoco or Shell). I used to use Sunoco Ultra 94 in everything but they stopped making it.

Those of you that are not using ethanol fuel, why not? It's better for your engine, leaves less deposits and runs cooler. Plus ethanol has more energy per volume than straight gasoline which is why so many tuners offer E85 tunes.

77Raptor

Reaction score
Here's a question: if you're at a station that offers 87 non-ethanol or 93 w/ 10% ethanol, which is the better all-around option to select? The ethanol will reduce your MPG, and I would think would be less "pure" than the 87, so would the 87 be the better choice for MPG and performance? Or does the octane outweigh the omission of ethanol?

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 18’ 802A spent most of its 57K while living in Texas on Costco premium and non ethanol 91 however, it’s been all over CO on 89 (highest available) and over Immogene and Independence passes climbing like a, well, Raptor!
I also have run 87 around town since relocation to SW FL with no issues especially with Costco premium at $4.19.

If I’m pulling a trailer, I’ll buy the highest octane available (per owners manual).
Empty around town, 87.
V/R
Smokey

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shell 93 here in Michigan. But, my Cobb tune is for 93. I like Sunoco (I'm from Ohio), but I can't get it up here.

raptor730

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone mixing octane? Sometimes I don’t have a choice but to run 87 down in remote areas of Baja after filling up with 91.

Or

Today I happened to be at Costco and I had 1/2 tank of 91 and filled it with 87. I’m guessing this gives me 89?

Just curious as 91 is starting to creep back over $5 a gallon on the west coast.
Now this is getting amusing. Hell, I "mix" octane everytime I fill up.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'
Incorrect!

Please read: https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/the-major-differences-between-ethanol-and-gasoline

Forcing ethanol on us is about 95%+ political. I avoid it wherever possible.

You're welcome..:)
Truly asking because I’m not very knowledgeable on this. Why are the HP numbers higher with a E85 tune? Also, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen @GooseTuned mention it’s safe to add a couple (?) gallons of E85 to a regular tank for some added performance (without needing to tune for it).