Misconceptions about fuel and power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastal

Reaction score
Should injectors be cleaned a regular interval or just when the mechanic says they need to be replaced?

If you're driving your truck regularly, shouldn't it be turning over the tank and keeping everything clean?

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I would say to have them cleaned at 40,000 miles initially. A good injector cleaning outfit (injectorrx.com) will test the injectors pre-cleaning and then post cleaning so you can then decide for yourself. I always support controlling your maintenance as Ford is out to make $ by selling equipment. Again - I want the most out of my engine and Raptor so I keep my engine performance at its peak. Hope this helps.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I would say to have them cleaned at 40,000 miles initially. A good injector cleaning outfit (injectorrx.com) will test the injectors pre-cleaning and then post cleaning so you can then decide for yourself. I always support controlling your maintenance as Ford is out to make $ by selling equipment. Again - I want the most out of my engine and Raptor so I keep my engine performance at its peak. Hope this helps.

Are you affiliated with injectorrx?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In carburetors ethanol is indeed a bad thing. HOWEVER, in fuel injected engines of this century the ethanol is a very good thing for performance, especially forced induction engines.

You can run way more timing and cylinder pressure to make way more power than gasoline. Most of the fuel systems, unless flex fuel, aren’t robust enough to run E85, but many are able to handle an E50 blend. The Gen2 Raptor is perfect for E50 and, with a tune to take advantage of it, it can easily add 100hp or more if you’re pushing it.

The ethanol also keeps the fuel system clean such that spark plugs last much longer, even running way more than stock power.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my experience, ethanol does indeed absorb moisture. We used to use it in the good ole days to rid your tank of water from condensation....every once in a great while. Condensation would occur in open vent fuel systems (think carburetor and older fuel tanks). Today, with fuel injection, when the rig is shut off, so is the fuel tank vent, greatly reducing any condensation. When left in any ICE system that is vented, the gasoline and alcohol evaporate before the water so as the system sits the concentration of water increases until corrosion starts. It will really make a mess of a carburetor and a good possibility of destroying it all together.

Ethanol also has fewer BTU per gallon that gasoline does resulting in less power generated. It costs more and will decrease milage overall. So you pay more and get less.

As far as injector deposits, I have no data, only experience. My '91 F150 with a modified 5.0 that now thinks its an HO mustang engine has over 100k miles on it and never had the injectors cleaned and she still lets everyone know this is not your mama's F150. Would she benefit from cleaning? Pretty expensive to fine out. ....dyno, clean, dyno.

Does ethanol help reduce emissions? Again, no data. I do remember the argument for it in the first place...."to reduce our consumption of fossil fuels" and move toward a "renewable" energy source. That plan may sound good on paper but the reality of it is that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than petroleum.
Ethanol also has fewer BTU per gallon that gasoline does resulting in less power generated. It costs more and will decrease milage overall. So you pay more and get less.
This statement is not entirely true. Yes ethanol has less btu per gallon but also run much cooler allowing more fuel to be injected due Isothermic reaction. Ask any tuner, the ethanol fuels make more power. Alcohol drag cars? Yes you have to inject larger volumes, but our trucks can do that.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a chem e
My thoughts regarding
Fuel and oil yes oil too. ALL
Are carefully formulated to provide optimal performance and protection.
Additives are like adding extra ingredients to your best award winning cake recipe. It ruins the cake.
If these additives were worthwhile they would have been added to start with.
Hydrocarbon cracking is a precise controlled process.
But hey I know all you smart know it alls know better.
And then wonder why whatever happened happened.
How about some STP SNAKE OIL FOR YOU??
GET EDUCATED. And while your at look up base stocks

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Did I miss something? Did people suddenly start STP in droves?

So, we're against additives, but for yanking out your injectors and having them cleaned every 40k miles?

Who needs to get educated?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did I miss something? Did people suddenly start STP in droves?

So, we're against additives, but for yanking out your injectors and having them cleaned every 40k miles?

Who needs to get educated?
@GCATX

Yeah I dunno. Op has been ranting about his 5 Raptors, petroleum engineering degree and injectorrx for a year now. Let the man be! Lol