Whipple and Gas Quality (Costco)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been proven whipple sucks for all things related to the gen2 Raptor, waste of money;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s why I’m waiting for Cobb

Yeah I feel bad for all the people that jumped on the whipple kit and all the problems with the tune and lack of performance from the tune. Customer service sucks. The CAI is worthless and so is the intercooler they offer.

For less $ one can get MPT and a SVC or Full Race intercooler that will work with frame cut bumpers.

Your a patient man waiting for Cobb:) I hear they will have some nice goodies and are the shit for Subaru!

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I feel bad for all the people that jumped on the whipple kit and all the problems with the tune and lack of performance from the tune. Customer service sucks. The CAI is worthless and so is the intercooler they offer.

For less $ one can get MPT and a SVC or Full Race intercooler that will work with frame cut bumpers.

Your a patient man waiting for Cobb:) I hear they will have some nice goodies and are the shit for Subaru!

Cobb won’t release anything until it’s completely dialed in, you are correct they are OG in the turbo suby scene. For good reason!! I did go for SVC intercooler and baja bumper ”both on sale now”! Whipple do superchargers not turbos, I was skeptical when they put out a kit for gen2 turbo motors.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the issues with the Whipple tune are attributed to the horrific baseline strategy Ford had for their 10-speed.

To be honest the intercooler is stout! I don’t want to say where but under a full 1 minute WOT run IATs continues to drop until they were within 3° of ambient, thats as good as you are gonna get. Agree, the factory intake is sufficient.

As far as the tune? They use ECUTek, others us HP Tuners to modify the tables. Whipple’s guy is a contractor to FoMoCo and has access to decades of fueling and timing strategies. Aside from ending up with a bad file that causes some problems with my PCM, the Whipple has been excellent and safe. It doesn’t really overboost the engine yet adds 110+ ft-lbs in the middle making the truck drive like a big block. I agree it isn’t as potent as a Rousch (Whipple says they didn’t not do that tune) or MPT but I think it’s safer for a guy who’s gonna thump on it towing, actually nailing it on the sand dunes or driving it around like a giant WRX in AWD.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, all base fuel is the same. Exxon, Chevron, Valero etc. make the gasoline and ship it to a depot where it is all mixed together and trucked to gas stations. What makes fuel "different" is what is added to it during or after it is trucked to the station. (That is why you can get Exxon made fuel at a Chevron station).
Whipple may have found that the additive used at Costco doesn't work well for them. That would be the only difference.
I have a Whipple (Gen1) and was told that Shell fuel would have the best results back in the day. Not sure how much science has gone into these recommendations.

P.S. It is interesting to see Whipple has put this in writing and specifically calls out Costco.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried Costco fuel once, all I got was pinging.
I've tried all the brands 91 and 93 octane, BP is the only one that makes the best power in my truck.
BP/Amoco is one of the largest gasoline refinery in the US. (Not to be confused with who sold the most gas/Natural and oil in the US)
Don't let people tell you base gas is the same, It's not!!!!!!
First off, the all make two grades low octane and high and send that down the pipe line, it then gets blended if needed and additive added if needed.

Being a Top Tier Gasoline member only means they have enough detergence in their gas to become a member. (Do your own research)

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s been proven whipple sucks for all things related to the gen2 Raptor, waste of money;)

Says who???? The handful of people that have had a problem on this forum and didn't want to give Whipple a chance to sort them out.

Because there are thousands running the Whipple kit for the ECO boost Raptor without any issues or complaints.

Last edited:

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the issues being seen was the TCM a year back. From my understanding those are now solved and running smooth.

I just installed my whipple kit and one thing that stood out was how smooth the transmission shifts.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried Costco fuel once, all I got was pinging.
I've tried all the brands 91 and 93 octane, BP is the only one that makes the best power in my truck.
BP/Amoco is one of the largest gasoline refinery in the US. (Not to be confused with who sold the most gas/Natural and oil in the US)
Don't let people tell you base gas is the same, It's not!!!!!!
First off, the all make two grades low octane and high and send that down the pipe line, it then gets blended if needed and additive added if needed.

Being a Top Tier Gasoline member only means they have enough detergence in their gas to become a member. (Do your own research)
That's not correct. The gas you are buying from a BP gas station is just as likely to sell gas made by Exxon or Phillip's as from BPs refinery. All refiners ship to central depots and the gasoline is mixed together.
Next time you see a tanker refilling a gas station, watch where it goes next.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk