New Raptor Horrible experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. Long time lurker and eventually ended up picking up a brand new Raptor on Sept 30 (Just this Monday).

I would have loved to start it off on a good point but it has been a HORRIBLE experience thus far.

I literally only got to drive the pickup for 1 day.

I picked it up brand new.. 30 miles on the dash and I drove it another 80 miles the following day.

While I was cruising the highway.. I completely lost oil pressure, temperature of oil and CEL light came on.
It completely shut off while I was in the fast lane of the highway (65MPH) and I lost most control to my steering wheel and had limited movement to get it on the right hand shoulder. I did so successfully and luckily did not get into a car accident but unfortunately I was on a bridge so I had to let the raptor coast for roughly 1 mile before I could finally pull over to the shoulder.

Please keep in mind this is after ONE DAY of ownership. Brand new. First owner right from authorized Ford dealer.

The pickup then would not start, completely dead on the highway. I had to call Ford roadside assistance and get a flatbed to tow back to the dealer.

After roughly 3 hrs of being parked, flatbed showed up and was towed to the dealer.

Following day (yesterday) dealer told me most likely the engine seized up.

Some complete ********.. I am not keeping a fully loaded Raptor (~75K MSRP) with a replaced engine on the FIRST DAY!

At this point, I am heading to the dealer in the afternoon and I will keep everyone posted

TLDR; Brand new 2019 Raptor, Engine seized after 1 day of ownership (100 miles on dash)

View attachment 130175 View attachment 130176
Major bummer. Im.not sold on the EcoBoost, I've heard similar stories of being stranded. That's way too new to be giving you issues.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look, it sucks, but you are dealing with a machine...I’m a pilot and once spent 45,000 for an IO 540 0 time engine...had it installed and while taxing off from the FBO it popped an oil leak and caught fire on the tarmac and burnt the mother ****** to the ground. Did it suck?? Yes...was I mad for a minute, little bit, but hey, people put it together..could have been a Friday or a Monday motor. Sorry it happened, but it could have been an airplane engine at 500 feet
:signs8:
Good perspective; it doesn’t matter how much it cost, it’s still a machine put together by folks who would probably rather be doing something else for a living.

KOakland

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what make it is, or who you bought it from, it is mechanical. Mechanical things will break, it's just a matter of time. Thats why they all have a service Dept.

Reaction score
Most states have a 3-4 day grace period on vehicle purchases that allow the owner to back out with very little or no penalty. Just wow on this one.

Are you sure about that regarding a new car purchase ? The only way can back out of a car purchase Is if you don’t take delivery of that vehicle. Example: You by a new car on a Wednesday or any day for that matter and you don’t take delivery of that car at all , let say because you wanted and insisted to have tires and wheel installed won’t drive it tell it does and won’t pick it up for 2 days ,4 days or even 7 days because they didn’t have them in stock . Even though you signed paper work , gave them a down payment , signed the auto registration paperwork . Then let’s say it’s day 2, 3, or even 7 days came around. Then you call them up or go down to them and say “ I change my mind I don’t want the car. And I like to have my down payment back , they have to cancel the contract and return the down payment “As long as you never took delivery of that vehicle you never completed the contract” And you can get out of the deal . But if they tell you after you signed the paperwork , “ take it home and we’ll have to make an appointment to have tires and wheels installed at a later time . You own the car , end of story. That why all car dealers want you to take that car home , Right Now..... As soon as you drive it off the dealership lot. It’s your, you own it . Understand ,if you waited let’s say the full 7 days to back out of the deal the only thing they could charge you for is the labor to install the tires & wheels onto the car you were going to purchase.
The 3 day right to resend on a contract mainly pertained to buyers that were solicited to at their residence or anyplace where they came to you . Tin man , Glengarry Glen Ross would be the prime example why that law came to be.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is horrific. There’s no way to make this sound good, so let me just get it out of the way- Did you check the vehicle over before buying, and specifically, did you check the oil? If you’ve lurked here a while, you may have seen that dealer PDI can be a little hit or miss. Some folks leave the dealership with the tires at 50PSI and quite a few have had the fault ‘Christmas Tree’ owing to very low oil.

Obviously, regardless of what happened this result is unacceptable. I would suggest talking to Ford customer service and squeeze them for a long term extended warranty, or replace it outright depending on what you’re going to do with the vehicle long term.

I hope the Stealership gets you back on the road ASAP. Good luck!

Picked up mine a few weeks ago... 50 lbs in the tires. I was like, WTF. Thought, if that is the attention to detail, what else did they overlook? Have a 1500 miles on it now, zero issues. But wasn't impressed with the PDI or lack thereof.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you sure about that regarding a new car purchase ? T

First let me say I am not a lawyer, so no, I am not 100% certain. I do know for a fact in my state the law does exist in some form. I have known 1 person to take advantage of it and there was only a dollar amount for miles driven based off the fed reimbursement rate. So he walked away from a car with no penalty other than $.52 cents a mile from the day of inception.

OP
OP
S

S M

Reaction score
Update:

I am getting a new truck from the dealer.. Picking it up tomorrow..

Only difference is its now black instead of white LOL

I'll post some pictures tmrw when I pick it up.

Dealer has been good to me.. Had a lawyer on standby JUST incase (no lemon law in Canada)
But didn't need it.

My family has bought 9 vehicles from that same dealer and they had a full history of our relationship with them prior to me getting ready to fight the Manager haha
I am glad it did not go that route!

And to the reply that said that 30 miles is alot for the truck.. Most of the trucks have 25-30 miles on the dash on the lot. I am not sure why but they are all brand new, no service record or anything. Maybe its just from moving it around or testing or something?