New potential Raptor owner needing help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

topgun04

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking to purchase a Ford Raptor. I have watched countless videos on all generations and I need advise on two scenarios. First scenario. Buy a one owner 2018 with 39k miles, all options except carbon fiber.50k asking price. Scenario 2, buy a new 2023 fully loaded, asking price with 3k discount is $85600. I can afford either one but after watching many videos most say there isn't a big difference between generation 2 and 3, and the concensus said if there was a low mileage one owner generation 2 that would be the smart move to make. The most off-roading I do is washboard roads and cow pastures when hunting. I'm curious to see what owners here think.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking to purchase a Ford Raptor. I have watched countless videos on all generations and I need advise on two scenarios. First scenario. Buy a one owner 2018 with 39k miles, all options except carbon fiber.50k asking price. Scenario 2, buy a new 2023 fully loaded, asking price with 3k discount is $85600. I can afford either one but after watching many videos most say there isn't a big difference between generation 2 and 3, and the concensus said if there was a low mileage one owner generation 2 that would be the smart move to make. The most off-roading I do is washboard roads and cow pastures when hunting. I'm curious to see what owners here think.
Why do you care about carbon fibre?

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont care about the carbon fiber, I was just showing the difference.
Gotcha..do you care about the look of either?

35 K. Is a hell of a difference in payment/mod money...

You just gonna drive it and stuff?

Mod?

Nees some more info

OP
OP
T

topgun04

Reaction score
Gotcha..do you care about the look of either?

35 K. Is a hell of a difference in payment/mod money...

You just gonna drive it and stuff?

Mod?

Nees some more info
They both look great. the 18 comes with 20-inch vorsteiner venonrex wheels, MBRP exhaust, and afe intake. I really don't know much about mods for a raptor but the 18 looks and sounds better with the mods. If I get the 23 I'm going with the same mods. And yea that's a big price gap. lol

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Skip the 20s. Does the '18 have all maintenance records? Fox recommends shocks being rebuilt every 40k-50k miles.

Gen 3 has rear coil springs where the Gen 2 has rear leaf springs. The Gen 3 will also have live valve shocks, adjustable in cab. The 17-18 Gen 2 have blue tops, not adjustable in cab. 19-20 Gen 2 have live valve adjustable shocks.

Bottom line is you gotta drive them both. See what feels good to you. Then tailor your search accordingly.