New Raptor Horrible experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S M

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. Long time lurker and eventually ended up picking up a brand new Raptor on Sept 30 (Just this Monday).

I would have loved to start it off on a good point but it has been a HORRIBLE experience thus far.

I literally only got to drive the pickup for 1 day.

I picked it up brand new.. 30 miles on the dash and I drove it another 80 miles the following day.

While I was cruising the highway.. I completely lost oil pressure, temperature of oil and CEL light came on.
It completely shut off while I was in the fast lane of the highway (65MPH) and I lost most control to my steering wheel and had limited movement to get it on the right hand shoulder. I did so successfully and luckily did not get into a car accident but unfortunately I was on a bridge so I had to let the raptor coast for roughly 1 mile before I could finally pull over to the shoulder.

Please keep in mind this is after ONE DAY of ownership. Brand new. First owner right from authorized Ford dealer.

The pickup then would not start, completely dead on the highway. I had to call Ford roadside assistance and get a flatbed to tow back to the dealer.

After roughly 3 hrs of being parked, flatbed showed up and was towed to the dealer.

Following day (yesterday) dealer told me most likely the engine seized up.

Some complete ********.. I am not keeping a fully loaded Raptor (~75K MSRP) with a replaced engine on the FIRST DAY!

At this point, I am heading to the dealer in the afternoon and I will keep everyone posted

TLDR; Brand new 2019 Raptor, Engine seized after 1 day of ownership (100 miles on dash)

452ed7ef-b352-46f4-bcc3-c5b6c10d280d.jpg 7282b80a-7270-48df-a7ef-bc49b13e75e3.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That is horrific. There’s no way to make this sound good, so let me just get it out of the way- Did you check the vehicle over before buying, and specifically, did you check the oil? If you’ve lurked here a while, you may have seen that dealer PDI can be a little hit or miss. Some folks leave the dealership with the tires at 50PSI and quite a few have had the fault ‘Christmas Tree’ owing to very low oil.

Obviously, regardless of what happened this result is unacceptable. I would suggest talking to Ford customer service and squeeze them for a long term extended warranty, or replace it outright depending on what you’re going to do with the vehicle long term.

I hope the Stealership gets you back on the road ASAP. Good luck!

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the poster above stated, You likely have 72 hours to take it back. Drop the keys and walk away. In fact, i'd buy from another dealer. That's nuts.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cooling off period in California. Hope it was purchased elsewhere.

DDP

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure California stealerships have that return policy anymore. Hopefully Canadian laws are better than California laws.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, this is an awkward Welcome and congrats..It will get sorted out. I had a brand new 2017 GT350 and the driveshaft literally broke off within 1st week of ownership in my driveway. Less than 100 miles and no burnouts. Ford fixed it.