My adventures etc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Those were all shot on my 5DII and GoPro...

For me, unless your going SLR, you might as well get something portable because the camera you have with you is the one that will get the most good/memorable shots. I wouldn't bother with a video camera, still cameras do great video these days. That is unless your going to be doing more video than stills, but I would guess that is not the case. When it comes to cameras (no matter what size/price) the lens is the most important part. Despite what gimmicks/gizmos/features camera makers try to sell you on. The two fixed lens options, and most basic are the Canon S95 and Olympus XZ-1. The S95 is simple to use, reproduces good color, fast lens, well priced. No changeable lenses (more on that later) but is definitely the most pocketable. Next step up is the XZ-1, little bigger but has a great zoom with a super fast aperture. While I haven't personally used the Oly, it has gotten great reviews HERE. The next bump up would need changeable lenses. This opens a lot of doors in terms of cool things you can do with the camera but also allows for filters etc which are very important when shooting outside. The three cameras to look at are the Olympus EP-3, Panasonic GF3, or Sony NEX5. The Sony is a hair more noob friendly with menus that give you shooting tips but the other two share the same Micro4/3 lens system which has a lot more options than the Sony's proprietary (typical sony) lens mounts. They all shoot 1080p video and are borderline pocketable.

Canon S95:
729876.jpg

Olympus XZ-1
749909.jpg

Olympus EP-L3 (will be out in Sept)
e-pl3.jpg

Panasonic GF-3
768737.jpg

Sony NEX-5
692507.jpg

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great points about the portability. You sold me on the Sony NEX-5. I've messed with one at Best Buy and was pretty impressed with it's features. Thanks for the writeup Cine!

I've got a Europe trip coming up and my goal is to walk away with a cool video compilation. Just need to brush up on some editing skills now... (photog skills too!!!)

SeaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cine you are very talented with the camera/video! I've always enjoyed taken photos and video of vacations and family outings. Now you have motivated me to make it that much more special! The way you capture different events is stunning! Great Job!:waytogo:

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Thanks Birdy, and Sea!

If your going with the nex do your self a favor and look at the GF2. One major drawback of the nex is that it doesn't have a built in flash and uses a proprietary flash setup. The GF2 has a built in flash as well as a standard hot shoe so you can use wireless poppers with it. The reason point and shoot flash looks so bad is that its coming from the same angle as the camera. Moving the flash off the camera makes all the difference in the world and that can lead to a lot more fun with flashes which can be really fun, makes for MUCH better flash pictures.... (it also utilizes a touch screen)

Reasons to go with the nex are if you already have some sony/minolta lenses or if you think your going to do lots of panoramas. The sweeping pano feature is pretty neat...

No matter what camera you get, be sure and get the prime/pancake lens. Get the prime first before the zoom if your only going to get one lens. It will force you to be a bit more interactive with shooting, ie instead of zooming you have to physically move closer/further away to frame a shot. BUT, the benefits are you get super sharp images, a very fast lens (good for low light), can achieve narrow dept of field (the pro look, great for portraits) and its a lot more pocketable. The way it achieves this is that zoom lenses require a lot more glass which leads to loss of light and are not as sharp.

Not the most interesting image but a narrow depth of field makes the subject matter pop out at you...
i-m4KhDtB-L.jpg

Last edited:

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff here Cine'!
Which camera were you using for the underwater/whitewater videos?
Do you have a housing for the 5D?

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
The hotshoe opens a lot of doors... I took this with my GF1 and a couple Canon Speedlights...

681010400_48pMD-X3-1.jpg

Pepper,
I was at B&H and talked to the underwater guy and this is what he suggested I get. Its not the nicest piece of kit in the world but for the price its awesome! Its great for dusty/windy conditions as well as under water. I have had it a couple years and so far not even a hint of moisture inside. There are removable pads in the bottom so it will work with your 1 series as well as the smaller SLRs. My only gripe about the housing is that the filter could be a bit better. I'll probably cut out the stock one and put something better in, maybe a polarizer too...

DiCAPac SLR Case

547694.jpg

This is a still of me filming the long big splash shot in the video...
965761236_8SdXR-XL.jpg

Last edited:

athensgator

Reaction score
Amazing compilation. Thanks for sharing. Really inspires me to do more exploring in our world, and to bring a camera along for capturing the moment.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, It makes more sense now, the quality screamed 5D!
I'm going to check out that housing for my 'D' bodies for sure. Have you used it in the extreme dust too?