Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls it is time to have a discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My suspension, wheels and tires are stock except for Deaver +3hds. I drive off road, logging trails and on farms, fully capable as is. I carry 2-300#s in back at times.
Call Deaver (don’t email) and get their opinion for your expected use.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HD deaver+3, RPG or SVC bumpstops, geiser or eibach front coils and some kinda upper arms (i run ICON). i also run rpg full tie rods and they figured out a nice boot to keep the water out of the electric steering rack..

i feel like deavers do a much better job controlling the rear axle, than the stock springs, but i haven't added any kinda traction bars. i always felt like the rear was steering with stock springs but with the deavers it seems to mostly have gone away..

i run dual spares with an RPG chase rack, with either 10gallons of fuel, (since im a supercab) or a plastic box with tools and recovery gear, and a 2ton big wheel jack in the bed, and i think its weighted perfect for HD springs, but i will say the shocks need some more rebound as theres some donkey kicking at times, will probably do the fox factory shocks at some point, but would like 3.5x18 live valves thru the bed someday too..

ive decided to keep my 19 supercab as theres no more supercab option for the gen3, so unless they put it back in the future, ill just hold on to mine.. silverback6_50.jpg

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Seeing as I didn't see the question asked, what kind of off roading? Rock crawling, high speed logging roads, baja? Post up some pictures of the superduty off road as we all love seeing dirty trucks (and dirty women). Also gives us as idea what you enjoy.

At a minimum I would look at either new shocks or a revalve, rear bump stops. If in any rock or tree area, gas tank skid plate. Spare tire carrier, eagle jack and storage for your recovery gear. A cheap VHF handheld and a GPS would be good. LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS!

PCDESERTstyle

Reaction score
I'm running Camburg uca's and rear bump with Deaver +3 500lb hd's, fox race series live valve with SDI controller. Fouts bed organizer carries 2 spares, 10 gallons fuel & jack. Recovery/parts box and large cooler for runs longer than a day. Wish I had done +4 hd's on the deavers as they settled pretty quickly and are pretty level with front with almost no lift adjustment on front. The biggest difference I felt was the rear which Iv'e had zero kick since install of deavers and bump. When I ran baja I didn't have e-click and was in the bumpstops often even over smaller stuff. After adding e-click, it seems to manage travel better and I do feel more control. There are plenty of settings with e-click to make the ride nice on and off pavement. Truck rides fine empty on street.
The downside is I blew a seal in front with only 1000 miles of off road and sending all shocks to SDI for re-valve this week. Hoping after that it will be just minor maintenance.

Attachments

• 277113136_503616741475400_7534313537480160287_n.jpg
    277113136_503616741475400_7534313537480160287_n.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 277369756_4876886259098102_9016945545217568079_n.jpg
    277369756_4876886259098102_9016945545217568079_n.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 277318998_944758612894478_8026921553567335408_n.jpg
    277318998_944758612894478_8026921553567335408_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seeing as I didn't see the question asked, what kind of off roading? Rock crawling, high speed logging roads, baja? Post up some pictures of the superduty off road as we all love seeing dirty trucks (and dirty women). Also gives us as idea what you enjoy.

At a minimum I would look at either new shocks or a revalve, rear bump stops. If in any rock or tree area, gas tank skid plate. Spare tire carrier, eagle jack and storage for your recovery gear. A cheap VHF handheld and a GPS would be good. LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS!
All kinds of off roading except extreme rock crawling.

Been on the white rim trail in Moab, been to Point sublime at the grand canyon (Google it, 18 mile road one way takes about 2hrs each way. Going in I was 2hr 5 minutes, coming out in the dark I was 1 hr 48 minutes) at this point of my life it is my favorite place on the planet.

Most is across the deserts of Utah and Nevada. Some roads are maintained well enough to do 65ish very comfortably in the SD. Most are in the 35mph area though.

20211228_193051.jpg20211228_192811.jpg

Kyle F

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, my Gen 3 order has been pushed to 2023. I am keeping the order on the chance it will actually happen. But I see a lot of change happening in the world and with a little soul searching I have decided to find a clean Gen 2 so I can have a Raptor before everything goes EV and the shit hits the fan.

The biggest reasons I want(ed) a Gen 3 is 37's and the rear suspension.

The biggest reasons I am going Gen 2 is they actually exist and modifications available to make it my own.

Modifications are why we are here, at this point suspension modifications. I am looking for advise/input on what works and what doesn't.

Let me give you a little back ground so you will know where I am coming from.

25ish years ago I had a vehicle that I decided I wanted to start modifying. Some things went good, but over all in the end I had a blown engine, an engine that had become pretty rare and hard/expensive to replace. In the end I kept the suspension mods but put the drive train back to stock form. That little lesson cost me about $15,000

Admittedly I was A: a head of my time, in that technology for tuning has come along way in the last 25 years. B: I picked a vehicle that had a very small niche following and that hurt also.

I have been "off roading" since I was a child in the 1970's, Family all used F250/350's back then and with that since 2002 I have been using a 2002 F350 PSD 6 speed for my off road adventures. it has low miles for it's age. 108,000 but a good 70% of those have been off road and the other 30% have mostly getting to the end of the asphalt to start my adventure. Just last weekend I put about 300 miles on it of which only about 80 miles was on asphalt. The truck has been on many of the trails you guys have taken your Raptors on in Moab and southern Utah.

I have the suspension set up pretty good, most of you would probably shit with where I taken it. The truck is in amazing shape, when it was about 6 months old I pinstriped the living heck out of it, over time most the pinstriping has disappeared. it has one scratch on the bed, and one small dent by a rear tail light. It has been garaged it's whole life. I consider trucks (vehicles in general) tools, not status symbols. As such in 20 years it has only probably been washed about 20-25 times in its life. But when it is washed it looks damn near new (amazing how the sun degrades stuff). I had it fully detailed last year and everyone was shocked how good it looked. Most the time it is dirty,dusty, muddy from my adventures. I like to look at it and think of all the places I have taken it, when I wash it those memories fade just a little bit.

I tell you all this so you know how I will treat my Raptor, also the F350 will not be leaving my stable EVER. I always own vehicles long term and the Raptor will be around for 15 years minimum but probably well past 20 years.

Okay, that was a lot, now to the real reason I am posting. My Raptor will not ever go to a Starbucks, It may on rare occasions go to Home Depot. it will probably only get driven around 5000 miles a year. I have a "company car" so to speak so my trucks only get used for actual truck stuff. We use my wife's car for running to the store and daily life stuff.

But those 5000 miles (hopefully more) will obviously off road. I will probably carry around 500lbs (maybe more it adds up quick sometimes) of gear most the time, (spare tires, tools, coolers, recovery gear)

So I read about some of the suspension modifications you guys are doing, but I don't read WHY as much and I read "rides so much better" but that is subjective. My focus is ride quality as far as off roading goes, which for me is a soft,plush ride that soaks up the bumps and obviously I don't want to bottom out.

This is what I am considering but again am I ******** myself and should I just leave things alone.

along with a DSC suspension control module.

what do you guys think or have experience with? The Deavers make me a little nervous, do I need HD's? Remember I have a Superduty to do Superduty things.

I really really want to do a Baja run some day (at least a year away for me right now) The stories I read say the stock trucks are more reliable so that mostly rules out a "mid-travel" kit for me. Also, in that kit are UCA's, what problem do they solve ( would probably do a slot reinforcement/delete kit also). I am okay with rebuilding the UCA's on occasion, (every 2-3 years) but are they a maintenance nightmare?

I would like to do '37's but not with a bunch of hacking/grinding to sheet metal, if that is not possible then will get crossed off the list pretty fast.

thanks for listening, what are your thoughts?
37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 2nd gen Raptor…no modifications were done that I can remember, and no problems.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Start with the list I posted earlier to work from. Drive it a bit and see if you need more or less.

I have 37s on my Gen 2, Mickey Thompsons on zero offset wheels. I had to do the pinch weld mod.