Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls it is time to have a discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, my Gen 3 order has been pushed to 2023. I am keeping the order on the chance it will actually happen. But I see a lot of change happening in the world and with a little soul searching I have decided to find a clean Gen 2 so I can have a Raptor before everything goes EV and the shit hits the fan.

The biggest reasons I want(ed) a Gen 3 is 37's and the rear suspension.

The biggest reasons I am going Gen 2 is they actually exist and modifications available to make it my own.

Modifications are why we are here, at this point suspension modifications. I am looking for advise/input on what works and what doesn't.

Let me give you a little back ground so you will know where I am coming from.

25ish years ago I had a vehicle that I decided I wanted to start modifying. Some things went good, but over all in the end I had a blown engine, an engine that had become pretty rare and hard/expensive to replace. In the end I kept the suspension mods but put the drive train back to stock form. That little lesson cost me about $15,000

Admittedly I was A: a head of my time, in that technology for tuning has come along way in the last 25 years. B: I picked a vehicle that had a very small niche following and that hurt also.

I have been "off roading" since I was a child in the 1970's, Family all used F250/350's back then and with that since 2002 I have been using a 2002 F350 PSD 6 speed for my off road adventures. it has low miles for it's age. 108,000 but a good 70% of those have been off road and the other 30% have mostly getting to the end of the asphalt to start my adventure. Just last weekend I put about 300 miles on it of which only about 80 miles was on asphalt. The truck has been on many of the trails you guys have taken your Raptors on in Moab and southern Utah.

I have the suspension set up pretty good, most of you would probably shit with where I taken it. The truck is in amazing shape, when it was about 6 months old I pinstriped the living heck out of it, over time most the pinstriping has disappeared. it has one scratch on the bed, and one small dent by a rear tail light. It has been garaged it's whole life. I consider trucks (vehicles in general) tools, not status symbols. As such in 20 years it has only probably been washed about 20-25 times in its life. But when it is washed it looks damn near new (amazing how the sun degrades stuff). I had it fully detailed last year and everyone was shocked how good it looked. Most the time it is dirty,dusty, muddy from my adventures. I like to look at it and think of all the places I have taken it, when I wash it those memories fade just a little bit.

I tell you all this so you know how I will treat my Raptor, also the F350 will not be leaving my stable EVER. I always own vehicles long term and the Raptor will be around for 15 years minimum but probably well past 20 years.

Okay, that was a lot, now to the real reason I am posting. My Raptor will not ever go to a Starbucks, It may on rare occasions go to Home Depot. it will probably only get driven around 5000 miles a year. I have a "company car" so to speak so my trucks only get used for actual truck stuff. We use my wife's car for running to the store and daily life stuff.

But those 5000 miles (hopefully more) will obviously off road. I will probably carry around 500lbs (maybe more it adds up quick sometimes) of gear most the time, (spare tires, tools, coolers, recovery gear)

So I read about some of the suspension modifications you guys are doing, but I don't read WHY as much and I read "rides so much better" but that is subjective. My focus is ride quality as far as off roading goes, which for me is a soft,plush ride that soaks up the bumps and obviously I don't want to bottom out.

This is what I am considering but again am I ******** myself and should I just leave things alone.

along with a DSC suspension control module.

what do you guys think or have experience with? The Deavers make me a little nervous, do I need HD's? Remember I have a Superduty to do Superduty things.

I really really want to do a Baja run some day (at least a year away for me right now) The stories I read say the stock trucks are more reliable so that mostly rules out a "mid-travel" kit for me. Also, in that kit are UCA's, what problem do they solve ( would probably do a slot reinforcement/delete kit also). I am okay with rebuilding the UCA's on occasion, (every 2-3 years) but are they a maintenance nightmare?

I would like to do '37's but not with a bunch of hacking/grinding to sheet metal, if that is not possible then will get crossed off the list pretty fast.

thanks for listening, what are your thoughts?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as with anything, you gotta drive the truck first. see how it feels to you. upgrade what you feel is best based on your personal experience and needs. i can tell you to do this and do that, but until you drive it, you dont know. you should revisit this thread once you got the truck and after you have taken it out a couple times. all the companies like svc, rpg,evil mfg, lex motorsports, etc all make great stuff. upgrading isnt out of the question. the reason stock trucks are more "reliable" is because the modded guys push a lot harder than the non modded guys. and when things break, it does get a bit more complicated to fix. but first things first, drive the truck first

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just get some collars for the front to lift it a bit and the deavers are a good buy, you can get different heights and ratings, depending on what you want to do with it. 500 lbs isnt much, but if you start going offroad more and start carrying extra fuel cans, 2 spares, recovery gear, etc, it can add up. A bump stop kit is a must have for high speed driving in whoops, etc. Stick with the stock shocks and just rebuild them as needed. The truck is plenty powerful out of the gate, so you don't need to mod the drivetrain. I'm guessing you will want to add lights/radios. etc. A raptor rides a lot different than a f250/350, especially offroad, I think you will be plenty surprised how it can soak up the bumps. Look online at some of the Raptor Runs that head into the back country and see what they do with stock trucks, most don't say to stay stock, they say to add a bump stop kit, 2 spares, 2 gas cans, radios/gps, etc. Do some more research before you throw money at it. The guys that put 20- 30K + into there trucks, sometimes regret it, because then it isn't the same truck anymore either.

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as with anything, you gotta drive the truck first. see how it feels to you. upgrade what you feel is best based on your personal experience and needs. i can tell you to do this and do that, but until you drive it, you dont know. you should revisit this thread once you got the truck and after you have taken it out a couple times. all the companies like svc, rpg,evil mfg, lex motorsports, etc all make great stuff. upgrading isnt out of the question. the reason stock trucks are more "reliable" is because the modded guys push a lot harder than the non modded guys. and when things break, it does get a bit more complicated to fix. but first things first, drive the truck first
Thanks for the reply, I don't plan on doing anything until I have taken it out a couple times.

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just get some collars for the front to lift it a bit and the deavers are a good buy, you can get different heights and ratings, depending on what you want to do with it. 500 lbs isnt much, but if you start going offroad more and start carrying extra fuel cans, 2 spares, recovery gear, etc, it can add up. A bump stop kit is a must have for high speed driving in whoops, etc. Stick with the stock shocks and just rebuild them as needed. The truck is plenty powerful out of the gate, so you don't need to mod the drivetrain. I'm guessing you will want to add lights/radios. etc. A raptor rides a lot different than a f250/350, especially offroad, I think you will be plenty surprised how it can soak up the bumps. Look online at some of the Raptor Runs that head into the back country and see what they do with stock trucks, most don't say to stay stock, they say to add a bump stop kit, 2 spares, 2 gas cans, radios/gps, etc. Do some more research before you throw money at it. The guys that put 20- 30K + into there trucks, sometimes regret it, because then it isn't the same truck anymore either.
Thanks for the reply.

No drivetrain mods planned at first, and yea your last sentence is exactly what I want to avoid.

skidmarcx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock Gen2 with "not worn" suspension does well enough in my opinion, you'll definitely want to look into a tune (best mod so far), intercooler depending on where you live, I think it's easy to talk yourself into mods since there are so many options out there, but how many of them are needed really?

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have what you're going to get, just a different manufacturer for the UCAs and bumps - Camburg. I would recommend SVC traction bars too. I didn't go the HD route with the Deavers, didn't want too stiff of a ride as my truck is a daily driver. The traction bars really help.

Did Baja last year, doing it again this year, lots of fun! Just know that you ride up to you and your truck's ability. Pushing it can break your truck, and it's not a race.

I just went with the SDI EClik system. Rides great on the street, can't wait to try it offroad.

Mars911red

Reaction score
I find that on my vehicles, that layer of dirt and dust protects the finish. That's how I justify not washing mine regularly anyway. That's what rain is for. Enjoy your new ride.

That being said, from what I can tell, trucks seem to be popping up at dealers now and you might get lucky and find one at a reasonable cost with a low or no ADM. That's how I found mine with a low ADM ($3,000ish) since paying the extra meant I could stop wasting time looking and still keep my order in case it ever gets here. Good luck in the hunt.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No on the 37s. Yes on the HD Deavers and look into a Rpg/Svc bumpstop/frame brace if you want to spend the money. I had around 160-170k miles on three Gen 2s. Never touched the drivetrain. Just front and rear springs ( Eibachs in front). Ride was solid. No harsh at all. I had Leitner bed rack with a couple boxes on with head totaling 300 ish pounds also. In a new Gen3 37pp and have not started on it yet. Waiting on springs to come out. If you never put weight in it then probably not a big deal. But put two guys and camping gear with a dead elk in the back and it gets ugly fast without the HD Deavers.