Mid perch and clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid perch, love it, would never go back to lower setting.
Never had an issue, in fact, it stopped the front from bouncing out around corners and really help with nose dive when braking.
I have the Deavers +2 so I still have a rake, I like that look myself.

I am at mid perch and love it, never had any issues. Check your shock mount bolts and make sure all the torque values are correct.

I waited 2 years to go to mid-perch and have never looked back. Zero clunking, handling is better. I love the look but I did it to accommodate 37" BFG TAs. No regrets here. Mid perch with the 37s is the perfect setup for me.

fjcoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some how taking the load off of the suspension allowed something to align properly. It's way beyond my mechanical means

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The binding/ vibration was probably your CV joints wearing in at the new angle. I wouldn't worry about that. The "clunk" is most likely your lower shock mounting bolts. They have to be tight. Really, really tight. I know there is a torque spec on here somewhere and it is in the 400+ lb/ft range. The have to be tight enough to compress the aluminum arm on to the lower shock bushing. Also, they should be torqued with weight on the front of the truck. Hope that helps.

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I go to mid perch. I will be using the spring compression method while leaving the shock in place. There should be no reason for the bottom shock mount to be removed right?

The steering and sway bar should be the only things unbolted?

dhollist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I go to mid perch. I will be using the spring compression method while leaving the shock in place. There should be no reason for the bottom shock mount to be removed right?

Correct.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425347046.604453.jpg

All the best,
Dave

mootang

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did it in place on two trucks and didn't disconnect the steering or sway bar either time.

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it in place on two trucks and didn't disconnect the steering or sway bar either time.
Really? all you did was compress the springs and move the clip up? and did you use the strap method to hold up the springs when you let down the hub?

mootang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rented a macpherson strut spring compressor from the auto parts store. put one jack under the frame below the front door to hold the truck up (did one side at a time). used a second jack to compress the suspension while I tightened the compressors. keeping both sides even.

Used a C-clamp to hold the top coil up against the bucket up top. lowered the second jack to de-compress the suspension.

undo hex nut in collar. use rubber mallet/pry-bar(be careful what you use for leverage when prying) to get the collar to move up. use pliers/screwdriver to move the c-clip up to mid perch.

with the spring compressor that I had I don't think I could safely do top perch this way because it would have been a hell of a time trying to get the spring compressed enough without stuff interfering. But for mid-perch it worked great. super easy to do as long as you have a second set of hands.

Last edited:

mootang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any close up pics but this gives an idea of jack placement. took me 3 hours on the first truck and 2 on the second.

this is what the spring compressor looked like that I used. the nut that you tighten has to be at the top also. wont work the other way.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27036/image/3/

The only bad thing about it was that the springs on the truck are bigger than what the compressor is made for. so they didn't seat all the way into the cup's of the compressor. It was enough that I was comfortable with it though.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
already have a set of those.. know what you mean about having bolt on bottom. it runs the screw up into the bucket while compressing. Did that on my STS-V front springs. You do a "F me im stupid" when you do it wrong the first time.