Longer Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Crampton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more info to chew on, most filters have a bypass setting of 16-23 psi. roughly, depending on manufacture and model. If the filter element has any restriction above that, the filter bypass will open. Some of the oil will not be filtered. This is another good reason to run a quality filter that is able to filter without loss of flow.

Now don't think that if your oil psi is above the bypass threshold that it will open. The filter itself is under pressure and has to have a pressure differential for the bypass to open.

I would not run a non-bypass filter, I have seen them crush down and nearly restrict all flow out of the filter. The engine really likes it's oil.:flamingdevil:

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EAO_ExplodedFilter_560px.jpg

Chris - Maybe they've changed the filter a bit since 2009 when these photos were taken, but the AMSOIL EA replacement for the FL-820S looks even tougher in these photos than the drawing you posted. The bypass spring is an actual coil spring located in the cone and it does have a silicone ADBV.

0015-1.jpg
0011.jpg
0010-2.jpg

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
I buy mine at my local dealer, the Ford Racing FL820 is a common filter for Mustangs. Ask for a loyalty discount should be $12

Man I just buy my Motorcraft FL820S at O'Reilly Auto Parts. $3.99. $12.00 bucks and that's with having a loyalty discount??? WOW!

BDRAG

Last edited:

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Calm down, dude. The Ford Racing FL-820 that was being referred to is not the same item as the Motorcraft FL-820S.

HAHAaa, WHO ME? Calm Down? HAhaaaa. Look, I am old and cranky and I love scaring people! The filter that came off my truck when I changed my oil was the exact filter as I buy at The Parts Store. Looking at the one in this thread its the same dang number. Same dang filter. Same specs is it not? So splain it to me please. HAHaaaaa. Oil threads are always fun.

Am I gonna blow up my motor?

BDRAG

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh thank God! A fellow curmudgeon on FRF! YAY!!!

BDRAG I'd like to invite you to join the PCA - Professional Curmudgeons of America. It is an organization dedicated to the art and science of being cranky, irascible, crotchety, ill tempered, and perennially right. The membership is legion, but they don't know who they are because the organization is completely fictitious. Who gives a shit if it's fictitious?