Knocking sound from my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
It started Saturday or so. Not terribly loud, but noticeable and definitely different. When I started my truck, first of all it turned over a little longer than usual, and kind of sputtered on. It was very warm Saturday so I figured my truck was doing what I did when I walked outside, and said "woah, it's warm!". After that, I noticed a knocking sound from the lower portion of the engine. I can hear it best when I listen from under the driver's side wheel well or by crawling under the truck. No leaks, no engine lights...

Sounds like someone lightly knocking on a wooden table and it gets louder and faster with higher RPMs. Probably going to the dealer tomorrow to let them have a listen. I'm sure they will tell me it's "normal", but I just want to to be on record before my warranty expires. Anyone have a similar problem? Thoughts?

2013 SuperCab 6.2, 29,*** miles. Running 5w-20 synthetic and have been since the first oil change.

:hmmm2:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Birdman, it is very difficult to detect the true source of a specific noise in the engine compartment with the unaided human ear. You might make the modest investment in a mechanic's stethoscope to accurately zero in on the source. What you describe could be a sticky or stuck valve lifter if the sound comes from the top of the engine. If you buy a stethoscope, be sure to listen carefully along the length of BOTH valve covers.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They call that the little man trying to escape from the block. Meaning a rod wants to depart the crank and venilate the block. How does the oil pressure look. If you have a spun main bearing, oil press will usually drop. If its a rod it may not drop just knock. I would make them at least drop the oil pan and take a look at the crank. Espically if warranty is almost up!! Hope you got all your oil change records!! If they dont want to take a serious look at it tell them you will pay for the gasket and labor to pull the pan before warranty is up.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
5.4 > 6.2 :(

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Not a stuck lifter I know that sound. That's more of a less frequent tapping sound. This is a lower, deeper knocking sound. If I hold the RPMs in 1st gear around 2500 it's pretty loud inside the cab.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Suggest you get a mechanic's stethoscope (or a length of rubber tubing) and poke around. Make sure it isn't the water pump or the PS pump.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like what my brother's TBSS did when he "damaged" his bearing. It didn't spin and drove fine but we could hear it. A chunk of the bearing broke off. He tore his motor apart and everyone at his shop was shocked we drove it home 300 miles like that.
I would drain your oil and strain it with a coffee filter. You will know real quick if you have an issue. Or better yet let the dealer do it.

Last edited:

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I saw a new white one on Herb Chamber's lot a week or so ago. If all else fails, you could start with a new, fresh one!

I've never been to the marathon. Have watched it many times on tv. Never wanted to brave the crowds. My wife and I were thinking this may be a great year to see it in person. If I make it, I'll watch for you!

Best of luck and stay away from the crazy guy all over the news today!