2019 Raptor cold engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Today my truck did it again - After being parked for 3 days, when started, the engine knocked really loud for 2-3 seconds and then it went back to normal. It has just 17k miles, I am the original owner and I fill the tank with Chevron gas only (91 octane)… I never heard the engine knocking while driving and the engine seem to be running fine. This was the 4th time when the engine knocked for few seconds at “cold” start, every single time in the same circumstances, after not being driven for few days (not few hours)… I went in service couple weeks ago to have it look at and they did nothing as they were not able to duplicate the issue. I was thinking that it might be the cam phasers issue but wouldn’t the knocking happen at every single cold start?

Last edited:

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked other threads here but no one seem to have this specific issue…
No, we have never heard about this before , it's absolutly an uncommon and unknown problem. We can't do anything for you. :happy175: I don't know how you did your reasearch...Ok stop to joke, your feeling about phaser is right... Time to close the topic !

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before the usuals drown this in shitposting or cbd ads, in the threads you searched - mainly those phaser related, did your noise sound similar or different? Was it more of a rattle or a knock?

Typically the rattle comes from extended periods between cranking, not necessarily every cold start.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, cam phaser ( the failure to “park” the cam phaser correctly ) manifests after a cold soak start, 12+ hours without running, upon startup it sounds like a metallic, high speed knocking- “marbles in a can” for lack of a better descriptor and there are youtube videos all over the place illustrating it.

Edit to add:
STILL.... Bingo.

OP
OP
Tibi Steri

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Yeah… lucky shot. I did find a video for an Expedition 3.5 Ecoboost cam phaser rattle that sounded exactly like my cRaptor. I guess I need to schedule another visit at the dealer to get it worked on.

**** Called the dealer this morning and I was told that they need to hear it happening or else will not fix it. Considering that the noise happens only after not driving the truck for 3 days, that will be fun. :lolnono: I almost feel I should give them some Bingo tickets (definitely remove the Fuse27 option so it won't get too confusing) ...

Last edited: