Knocking sound from my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bird-I think mine has a similar issue. I have been noticing the knocking for a while, on and off, sometimes it sounds worse than other times but it was never loud enough to make me think it was a rod issue. I always ended up chalking it up to my ears and mind playing tricks on me or it's just the way it's supposed to sound. I also had the long turn over on ignition once, almost to the point where I thought it wasn't going to start, or the battery was dead, then it cranked up on me. I searched the forum for any similar situations and never really came up with anything so I left it alone thinking I was going nuts.
Now that I read your post I think I have the exact same issue-no leaks, fluids and gauges all look good and at times it's hard to hear it. Curious to know what your dealer says....

2012 SCREW at 31k miles and all service up to date on time every time...

Last edited:

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, you should have a 60k mile power train warranty so you should be good for a while. Don't think you were anywhere near that?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Thought I saw a new white one on Herb Chamber's lot a week or so ago. If all else fails, you could start with a new, fresh one!

I've never been to the marathon. Have watched it many times on tv. Never wanted to brave the crowds. My wife and I were thinking this may be a great year to see it in person. If I make it, I'll watch for you!

Best of luck and stay away from the crazy guy all over the news today!

Yup, and it's still there. If you make it out my bib # is 28004 so you can track me on your phone and keep an eye out for the tall guy running by.

Bird-I think mine has a similar issue. I have been noticing the knocking for a while, on and off, sometimes it sounds worse than other times but it was never loud enough to make me think it was a rod issue. I always ended up chalking it up to my ears and mind playing tricks on me or it's just the way it's supposed to sound. I also had the long turn over on ignition once, almost to the point where I thought it wasn't going to start, or the battery was dead, then it cranked up on me. I searched the forum for any similar situations and never really came up with anything so I left it alone thinking I was going nuts.
Now that I read your post I think I have the exact same issue-no leaks, fluids and gauges all look good and at times it's hard to hear it. Curious to know what your dealer says....

2012 SCREW at 31k miles and all service up to date on time every time...

Pretty much on the same page. The sound is different, definitely. It's alarming at times, and others I have to listen for it. I will let you know what they say.

By the way, you should have a 60k mile power train warranty so you should be good for a while. Don't think you were anywhere near that?

Good point, I'm only at 29k so I'm still under the B 2 B warranty Let alone the powertrain warranty. I'd just like it documented with them even if they don't find anything. I'm assuming if it's major I can expect it to get worse over the next 500 miles.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like what my brother's TBSS did when he "damaged" his bearing. It didn't spin and drove fine but we could hear it. A chunk of the bearing broke off. He tore his motor apart and everyone at his shop was shocked we drove it home 300 miles like that.
I would drain your oil and strain it with a coffee filter. You will know real quick if you have an issue. Or better yet let the dealer do it.

What's a tbss???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
No, the sound has become intermittent, and hasn't gotten any worse. I am just waiting for it to rear its head at a time when it's convenient to drive straight to the dealer. I don't want to leave my truck with them so I want them to hear it on my schedule. My new car landed at port this morning so when I pick it up I'll probably let the dealer take my truck.

Raptor_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started Saturday or so. Not terribly loud, but noticeable and definitely different. When I started my truck, first of all it turned over a little longer than usual, and kind of sputtered on. It was very warm Saturday so I figured my truck was doing what I did when I walked outside, and said "woah, it's warm!". After that, I noticed a knocking sound from the lower portion of the engine. I can hear it best when I listen from under the driver's side wheel well or by crawling under the truck. No leaks, no engine lights...

Sounds like someone lightly knocking on a wooden table and it gets louder and faster with higher RPMs. Probably going to the dealer tomorrow to let them have a listen. I'm sure they will tell me it's "normal", but I just want to to be on record before my warranty expires. Anyone have a similar problem? Thoughts?

2013 SuperCab 6.2, 29,*** miles. Running 5w-20 synthetic and have been since the first oil change.

:hmmm2:

My serpentine belt tensioner made a sound like you describe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc