Is there a way to get the memory seats to move while driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ba123

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that it’s a pain in the rear and it’s my own choice whether or not to adjust my seat while driving. At least I’m not the ******* who thinks holding up the phone in front of your mouth is hands-free. I can adjust and drive much more safely than most of those morons…but, back to the point.

@ Yeti, the seat will go back to wherever it was when you turned the truck off. If it was in your memory position, then it will go back there.

I’d love to find a way to disable this non-necessary safety function as well if anyone finds it. I’ve had a lot of cars and have never seen this one.

OP
OP
Yeti Rojo

Yeti Rojo

Reaction score
@ Yeti, the seat will go back to wherever it was when you turned the truck off. If it was in your memory position, then it will go back there.
That's the problem. Sometimes it does go back to where it was, sometimes it doesn't. And by the time I realize it hasn't moved, I'm already in gear.

It isn't an issue with using different keys, and my wife hardly ever drives the truck. Even when she does she doesn't have the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all they way against the dash. If I can't reach it I KNOW she can't reach it!

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my M3 Seat memory 2 set for setting the seatbelt at the track. I put the seat all the way back and a slight lean back, set the belt, lock it and then hit memory 1 to lock the belt in for holding me in the seat. Why do I say this..... I am not short but I would not like to be driving and find my seat leaning back and sliding all the way back. I am a competent driver to not crash but there are plenty "darwin" cases out there.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Memory 1 = Normal driving position
Memory 2 = off road driving
Memory 3 = steering wheel all the way in and up as well as the seat all the way back for easy exit/ re-entry without killing the engine.

I believe that you can manually adjust your position while driving, and then press and hold whichever Memory number you so desire.

I think either one will work, you can press the Memory button, let go and then press "OK" or just press and hold your desired Memory button until the message disappears which will store your new position.

Off subject, today I discovered that with the parking brake on and door slightly ajar that the rpms will just rev up if you put it in drive and try to take off.

However, if the door is slightly ajar and the parking brake is off then it's not a problem to put it in drive and take off as transmission engages instantly.

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me share a few lessons “from the street” with you then.

1) On the track, there are no cell yakkers piloting 2-3 ton wheeled missiles implementing chaos theory while piloting said missiles, sipping their latte, smoking a cigarette and yakking on their cell phone, seemingly trying to kill you.
2) Even the skilled BDC’s really aren’t.
3) Fer F*CK’s sake, bright sunshine is NOT inclement weather!
4) Minivans = death. stay away.
5) there is no problem on the road that a liter bike or larger cannot resolve with throttle (in the right amount)
6) pass with prejudice. Passing is not a conversation or negotiation, it is the act of assuming your rightful place in front of the slower, plodding BDC.
7) Profile. Sure, not all minivan pilots are trying to kill you, but why take the chance. BMW drivers? OMG.
8) 6 & 7 - pass hellcats, GT’s, SS camaros, GTR’s, and supercars with --extreme prejudice--. No negotiation. If they’re stupid enough to try to make up for having their ego stomped, let them throw the block for you and get the ticket, but don’t dawdle while passing the fragile ego’d porsche driver.
9) Have a way out besides the brakes, just in case.
10) Street ain’t the track; winning means arriving home safe, and not with a warrant out for your arrest.

But yeah, we had this conversation back in ’17. I can definitely see Ford being sued for someone having a collision and blaming the memory settings, so I get why it’s locked out.

It’s not like I have to pull levers, and manually move the seat. Honestly, I don’t use easy entry/exit on the Rap, but I do on the Lincoln and definitely regret it when I get in after my wife drove; she’s - as another FRF coined - “Fun sized” :) and I’m not. So I hop in the Lincoln after she drove, hit start and the next thing you know my head is being crammed up against the roof and I’m being shoved toward the steering wheel! #AnotherFirstWorldProblem.
No need for "sharing"... retired end of last month with 28 years. The "professional" riding was all street less a few track days for high speed classes. I've got plenty of material on that subject being my secondary was all collisions. Also, live on the lake near (and in my district) the hottest road around for squids.

Back on topic. Although my original post was somewhat in jest, not only am I not a young person, but was raised by my grandfather so my morals and beliefs are older still. I HATE all the governmant nannies that have come not out of actual statistics, but from the lawyers section. Maybe if we held people accountable for their actions (or inactions), the world would be safer than everyone EXPECTING someone else to be responsible FOR them.

I know, my "day" has come and gone... but one can dream. End of crusty gray angry "old" guy rant.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I need a way to lock out the memory buttons. My wife seems to think pressing and holding the button is the right answer for ANY seating or mirror issue, which of course changes my preset to the “Fun size” preset values, which for normal humans is contortionist level discomfort.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need a way to lock out the memory buttons. My wife seems to think pressing and holding the button is the right answer for ANY seating or mirror issue, which of course changes my preset to the “Fun size” preset values, which for normal humans is contortionist level discomfort.
Change wives, it’s easier!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For safety reasons you don't want that seat moving while in drive. Find something better to complain about lol.
Imagine you hit the button for your 4ft nothing spouse and your 350 pound 6-4 frame gets pushed up against the wheel and pedals. you don't want that at 60 mph.

I have just learned to throw in park at a light or stop sign to correct as needed.