Driving Experience -- manual shifting and steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mount the paddles on the column.... i'd have to let go of the wheel and move my hand to shift and put it back on the wheel to drive. I think there's something like that already

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hah... Drove in manual mode tonight to / from the range and had a blast, just for the LOLS. I was finally able to do a fast take off with an immediate turn using the shifter +/ button. If you do mess with the paddle shifting, 1st gear is gone QUICK with a heavy foot and it’s easy to bounce off the rev limiter. Tonight I finally got the execution down, gassing, turning the wheel, unwinding shift, control the drift and continue feeding throttle. Usually I screw up one of the steps but tonight I got it. Only to land behind some slow moving Toyota driver ( who must own a bmw ) :p

OP
OP
A

ATXtor

Reaction score
Mostly predictable, unknowledgeable replies. Knew the BMW reaction would occur too -- haha. I do not like BMWs; it was a "spinning paddle reference" only. There aren't many street trucks with paddle shifters, so I used a widely recognized reference for most all folk; get over it, myopic truck boys. As I said, it's a great truck, that's my only real point of contention; it's really a compliment of sorts, to only have, that. I hope that makes some of you truck-hurt folk feel better. Actually, that was insincere; I don't really care. *** I thought the shift issue was a pretty valid point. Coming from about 20,000 track miles and some cold-night Parker 425 experience; not tons of off-road, but some; other than hard-enduro racing, and some mountainous SxS fun (in case my "only street so-far" comment was misleading). Having to move your hands around on the wheel to turn, often, and to have consistent "manual"-shift uncertainty (see how manual and uncertainty don't go together?!! --AUTO is UNCERTAINTY) in the low range is is NOT a good thing, and if one doesn't think it matters, then enjoy your commute! Point of reference, whiners... my 2017 F250 Platinum, with the variable steering ratio, could do a 90 from a stop with WAY less steering wheel movement, with no hand movement, but not my new Raptor! Yes, really! So yes, it's a truck! Thanks so much. (And whoever said that manual shifting on this truck is not worth it is summarily dismissed from this conversation, with prejudice.) Traditionally, there's ALWAYS a stalk/lever/toggle back-up for spinning paddles; this is an "industry first" as far as I know. They got most every-other thing right, just one big "performance drivability" shortfall, IMO. That's why having a tighter steering ratio would allow you to make most every turn without having to move your hands from the quintessential 9/3 thumb-spoke-grip on the wheel, which would help nullify the spinning paddle issue as paddles would stay put, relative to grip -- AND you can change songs and raise volume while sawing-out a tight, dry, sandy creek-bed in 2xDiffLock! That's why I asked about the steering mod, which I've never heard of, shy of a new rack. Truck would be freaking amazing (!) with this mod, if possible -- street, baja, tech, rocks, and even for the non-shifter guy's grocery store commute! If you steer with one finger, and think your settings, "don't do much", please disregard this thread. *** Lots of emotional stuff on these threads. Your truck is not your girlfriend, damn. And even if it was, still damn. (Just having some fun here; no crying allowed)

Last edited:

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mostly predictable, unknowledgeable replies. Knew the BMW reaction would occur too -- haha. I do not like BMWs; it was a "spinning paddle reference" only. There aren't many street trucks with paddle shifters, so I used a widely recognized reference for most all folk; get over it, myopic truck boys. As I said, it's a great truck, that's my only real point of contention; it's really a compliment of sorts, to only have, that. I hope that makes some of you truck-hurt folk feel better. Actually, that was insincere; I don't really care. *** I thought the shift issue was a pretty valid point. Coming from about 20,000 track miles and some cold-night Parker 425 experience; not tons of off-road, but some; other than hard-enduro racing, and some mountainous SxS fun (in case my "only street so-far" comment was misleading). Having to move your hands around on the wheel to turn, often, and to have consistent "manual"-shift uncertainty (see how manual and uncertainty don't go together?!! --AUTO is UNCERTAINTY) in the low range is is NOT a good thing, and if one doesn't think it matters, then enjoy your commute! Point of reference, whiners... my 2017 F250 Platinum, with the variable steering ratio, could do a 90 from a stop with WAY less steering wheel movement, with no hand movement, but not my new Raptor! Yes, really! So yes, it's a truck! Thanks so much. (And whoever said that manual shifting on this truck is not worth it is summarily dismissed from this conversation, with prejudice.) Traditionally, there's ALWAYS a stalk/lever/toggle back-up for spinning paddles; this is an "industry first" as far as I know. They got most every-other thing right, just one big "performance drivability" shortfall, IMO. That's why having a tighter steering ratio would allow you to make most every turn without having to move your hands from the quintessential 9/3 thumb-spoke-grip on the wheel, which would help nullify the spinning paddle issue as paddles would stay put, relative to grip -- AND you change songs and raise volume while sawing-out a tight, dry, sandy creek-bed in 2xDiffLock! That's why I asked about the steering mod, which I've never heard of, shy of a new rack. Truck would be freaking amazing (!) with this mod, if possible -- street, baja, tech, rocks, and even for the non-shifter guy's grocery store commute! If you steer with one finger, and think your settings, "don't do much", please disregard this thread. *** Lots of emotional stuff on these threads. Your truck is not your girlfriend, damn. And even if it was, still damn. (Just having some fun here; no crying allowed)

I agree with the gearing part. Funny enough, the platinum, lariats etc have adaptive steering. It basically changes the steering ratio on the fly. So tighter turns take less wheel turn. For some reason the raptor didn’t get it.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Mostly predictable, unknowledgeable replies. Knew the BMW reaction would occur too -- haha. I do not like BMWs; it was a "spinning paddle reference" only. There aren't many street trucks with paddle shifters, so I used a widely recognized reference for most all folk; get over it, myopic truck boys. As I said, it's a great truck, that's my only real point of contention; it's really a compliment of sorts, to only have, that. I hope that makes some of you truck-hurt folk feel better. Actually, that was insincere; I don't really care. *** I thought the shift issue was a pretty valid point. Coming from about 20,000 track miles and some cold-night Parker 425 experience; not tons of off-road, but some; other than hard-enduro racing, and some mountainous SxS fun (in case my "only street so-far" comment was misleading). Having to move your hands around on the wheel to turn, often, and to have consistent "manual"-shift uncertainty (see how manual and uncertainty don't go together?!! --AUTO is UNCERTAINTY) in the low range is is NOT a good thing, and if one doesn't think it matters, then enjoy your commute! Point of reference, whiners... my 2017 F250 Platinum, with the variable steering ratio, could do a 90 from a stop with WAY less steering wheel movement, with no hand movement, but not my new Raptor! Yes, really! So yes, it's a truck! Thanks so much. (And whoever said that manual shifting on this truck is not worth it is summarily dismissed from this conversation, with prejudice.) Traditionally, there's ALWAYS a stalk/lever/toggle back-up for spinning paddles; this is an "industry first" as far as I know. They got most every-other thing right, just one big "performance drivability" shortfall, IMO. That's why having a tighter steering ratio would allow you to make most every turn without having to move your hands from the quintessential 9/3 thumb-spoke-grip on the wheel, which would help nullify the spinning paddle issue as paddles would stay put, relative to grip -- AND you change songs and raise volume while sawing-out a tight, dry, sandy creek-bed in 2xDiffLock! That's why I asked about the steering mod, which I've never heard of, shy of a new rack. Truck would be freaking amazing (!) with this mod, if possible -- street, baja, tech, rocks, and even for the non-shifter guy's grocery store commute! If you steer with one finger, and think your settings, "don't do much", please disregard this thread. *** Lots of emotional stuff on these threads. Your truck is not your girlfriend, damn. And even if it was, still damn. (Just having some fun here; no crying allowed)

Did the enter button on your keyboard get hung up in your paddle shifting ratio? :)

OP
OP
A

ATXtor

Reaction score
Also, I've had a few Gen 1's, but never a 2. Gen 1 tranny is a joke compared to 3. So I guess the 2 was same as 1?? -- "+/-" on the lever if I recall, I drove my friend's a long time ago on his ranch -- motor and truck was better, but the tranny felt similar, a mushy slide-in shift. Well, I was shocked how well this Gen 3 tranny shifts and downshifts (!), with proper settings, UNDER LOAD! (and not payload!) (It wont shift fast, at all, in the grocery store parking lot, without load) If you're not driving a 3, or have driven a 3 fairly hard and for a while to know it, then just sit this one out; you have no clue. It's shockingly good, for what it is! -- a TRUCK! lol WAY different then what I expected. Cant imagine what a little tune could do too. Does the "what's-his-name-tuner-dude's tune" adjust tranny performance, or just motor?