Driving Experience -- manual shifting and steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATXtor

Reaction score
After driving my new 22 for a couple weeks, on pavement only, I found a couple things, one is very troublesome, and another is pesky. They are tangentially related because of "one f'd-up feature of this truck."

Pesky: Stering ratio -- it's a shame it's not just a bit tighter. This goes out of my mechanical zone of knowledge for street mods, but is it not possible/practical to somehow have a custom gear made for the steering rack that will increase wheel-turn to input? I suspect not, but curious what you guys know.

Troublesome!: It's the "same ol'", but with an even worse element for THIS truck. The macro: Why doesn't everyone mount paddles on the steering COLUNM, fixed!, rather than on the turning wheel! But that's another topic, akin to "world peace." The truly unfortunate thing, is that when you are spinning the steering wheel wildly, or even mildly in this truck, in 1-3rd gear, it's a **** to shift timely, with precision. Same as say, BMW, right? Wrong! The micro: However, on EVERY car I have driven with "spinning paddles", you can easily default to a old-school center console shift-lever "+/- gear-shift-lever, pull-left, toggle position" to shift up or down in a fraction of a second with the right hand. Well, the dumb-ass "work space" cheesy plastic shift lever, that only works when the truck is stopped (fricking lawyers!), intentionally blocks that feature from existence here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF! So, for "true drivers", who ONLY shift manually, even on the street, we just lost near total control of the transmission, when sawing back and forth on the steering wheel under 25mph, 1st-3rd! Even on the street, just a plain right turn from a stop with a mildly-sporty acceleration -- It's a paddle shift-show! (I guess I'll get used to the massive dysfunction of this; I suppose??) This, in my mind, is REALLY unconscionable with the design of this truck and its stated intentions. Huge "work-space ball-drop!" But, it's a great truck otherwise, surprisingly fast out of the box! Nothing to do here, but "cope." :( ( I wish they put the Manual shift button in a more accessible place too.) This is my biggest disconnect with this truck, and it's BIG.

So, steering ratio? Anything to do here, or just move hand-position on the steering wheel for every other minor turn? Now you see how they're related in this issue?

Raptorny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving my new 22 for a couple weeks, on pavement only, I found a couple things, one is very troublesome, and another is pesky. They are tangentially related because of "one f'd-up feature of this truck."

Pesky: Stering ratio -- it's a shame it's not just a bit tighter. This goes out of my mechanical zone of knowledge for street mods, but is it not possible/practical to somehow have a custom gear made for the steering rack that will increase wheel-turn to input? I suspect not, but curious what you guys know.

Troublesome!: It's the "same ol'", but with an even worse element for THIS truck. The macro: Why doesn't everyone mount paddles on the steering COLUNM, fixed!, rather than on the turning wheel! But that's another topic, akin to "world peace." The truly unfortunate thing, is that when you are spinning the steering wheel wildly, or even mildly in this truck, in 1-3rd gear, it's a **** to shift timely, with precision. Same as say, BMW, right? Wrong! The micro: However, on EVERY car I have driven with "spinning paddles", you can easily default to a old-school center console shift-lever "+/- gear-shift-lever, pull-left, toggle position" to shift up or down in a fraction of a second with the right hand. Well, the dumb-ass "work space" cheesy plastic shift lever, that only works when the truck is stopped (fricking lawyers!), intentionally blocks that feature from existence here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF! So, for "true drivers", who ONLY shift manually, even on the street, we just lost near total control of the transmission, when sawing back and forth on the steering wheel under 25mph, 1st-3rd! Even on the street, just a plain right turn from a stop with a mildly-sporty acceleration -- It's a paddle shift-show! (I guess I'll get used to the massive dysfunction of this; I suppose??) This, in my mind, is REALLY unconscionable with the design of this truck and its stated intentions. Huge "work-space ball-drop!" But, it's a great truck otherwise, surprisingly fast out of the box! Nothing to do here, but "cope." :( ( I wish they put the Manual shift button in a more accessible place too.) This is my biggest disconnect with this truck, and it's BIG.

So, steering ratio? Anything to do here, or just move hand-position on the steering wheel for every other minor turn? Now you see how they're related in this issue?
It is still a truck not a bmw

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It is still a truck not a bmw
Thank GOD!
FYI those paddle shifters are for looks. Even if they were fixed, the Ford 10spd shifts are slooooooow. Not even close to a Beamer.

Gen2's have +/- shift buttons on the shifter.

And again, thank GOD the Raptor is so much better than the bavarian manure wagon.

The paddles & buttons work great on my Raptor. If I do my part, the truck does her part. There are few scenarios in which I want to use them, but good for holding the gears when I want to ensure there’s no upshift.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank GOD!

And again, thank GOD the Raptor is so much better than the bavarian manure wagon.

The paddles & buttons work great on my Raptor. If I do my part, the truck does her part. There are few scenarios in which I want to use them, but good for holding the gears when I want to ensure there’s no upshift.
Please smurf, the Ford/Chevy 10spd is dudu. I could rifle through 3 gears on my Gen 2 and it would literally take seconds to shift gears. All you get are high revs and slow shifts. It's not even worth using. My Bimmer paddle shifts are instant.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please smurf, the Ford/Chevy 10spd is dudu. I could rifle through 3 gears on my Gen 2 and it would literally take seconds to shift gears. All you get are high revs and slow shifts. It's not even worth using. My Bimmer paddle shifts are instant.
It matters what drive mode you’re in. In Sport mode the shifts are nearly instantaneous.

FYI the 10R can shift as fast as a DCT. It’s all in the calibration.