ICON vs Fox 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this because you had to grind the shock mount to make room for them? The new version does not require any grinding.

Good point. I don't know if the non grinded mounts are breaking also. Did Icon really have the customers shave enough of the mount to really weaken that much though? I've never seeing how they do it.

D

Deleted member 12951

I'm no engineer but I think the bump zone in the icon runs really stiff and doesn't allow for enough slow progression of the shock resulting in too much force on the upper shock mount.

In icons defense, I've seen a few Fox shocks blow the lower mounts off. But in all honestly, it's a much more prevalent issue on the icons.

Could it also be how someone adjusted the 3 tubes that wasn't a good fit for the terrain? Or does it not matter how you adjust any of them affects the bump zone part of the shock?

D

Deleted member 12951

Good point. I don't know if the non grinded mounts are breaking also. Did Icon really have the customers shave enough of the mount to really weaken that much though? I've never seeing how they do it.

ICON's requirement at the time didn't require that much to remove but some guys were removing too much, grinder got a little crazy. When I called them, they made changes so no grinding was required because there was no control of what customers were doing, so I was told.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it also be how someone adjusted the 3 tubes that wasn't a good fit for the terrain? Or does it not matter how you adjust any of them affects the bump zone part of the shock?

Got to imagine tuning plays a big role but I don't know the specifics. I'm a visual learner and just see the pics of broken mounts lol.

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shocks didn't touch when I tried to install, but seller forgot some of the heim spacers for install. Just got them today. The instructions say grinding MAY be required with SOME aftermarket leaf springs. The photo also very slight trimming and notes not to cut too much. Guess I'll finish and report back.

D

Deleted member 12951

The shocks didn't touch when I tried to install, but seller forgot some of the heim spacers for install. Just got them today. The instructions say grinding MAY be required with SOME aftermarket leaf springs. The photo also very slight trimming and notes not to cut too much. Guess I'll finish and report back.

LGE/CTS makes a set of shock mount to strengthen it. Always a good idea if you ask me.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f184/upper-lower-rear-shock-mount-reinforcement-plates-31305/