Fox 3.0 rear noise…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apollo90

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Several months ago I invested in a Fox 3.0 setup, front and rear. I’m also running Icon leafs on setting 1.

Initially I noticed the driver side rear making a ton of noise. What I hear is a popping/snapping sound, I can also feel it in the chassis. It only makes the noise over tiny, sharp impacts.

I had the shocks rebuilt twice. No change. When I put my stock shocks on, no noise.

Recently I submitted a warranty claim through fox and they replaced the rear shocks entirely with a brand new set with upgraded (quieter) internals. I also replaced mounting hardware.

I just installed the new shocks, and the left shock makes the same snapping sound. The other side, like before, is completely quiet. It makes me wonder if its the shock, or if the difference in dampening is making a noise from elsewhere more apparent. I’m thinking maybe leaf springs, parking brake (it seems to fit a lot more tightly around the 3.0 bodies), or there is something wrong with the shock mounts themselves.

Kind of at a bit of a loss. Thanks

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
get a Go-Pro or something and aim it at the P-Brake cable and see it it is catching on the shock body.
If that is not it, aim camera at the leaf's or the mounts.
Look at the alignment spacers in the shock and where they attach and see it that side has something rubbing top or bottom mount.

Spike Spiegel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same sound on my Gen 2 Fox 3.0. It was the valves chattering over bumps. It took a friend an I an hour of riding in the bed over bumps to figure this out.

OP
OP
apollo90

apollo90

Reaction score
I would say this is more of a snapping popping sound, and less of a click if that makes sense. You can also very faintly feel it sitting in the drivers seat, almost like a dead space that binds and releases.

I’d be ok with it being valve noise, but what is odd to me is that the right side is 100% silent. Makes me think something is wrong.

get a Go-Pro or something and aim it at the P-Brake cable and see it it is catching on the shock body.
If that is not it, aim camera at the leaf's or the mounts.
Look at the alignment spacers in the shock and where they attach and see it that side has something rubbing top or bottom mount.
I’ll take a look at the alignment spacers as well - thank you.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say this is more of a snapping popping sound, and less of a click if that makes sense. You can also very faintly feel it sitting in the drivers seat, almost like a dead space that binds and releases.

I’d be ok with it being valve noise, but what is odd to me is that the right side is 100% silent. Makes me think something is wrong.

I’ll take a look at the alignment spacers as well - thank you.
Parking brake cable actually sounds like a possibility. Ideally a video of the full shock when it happens would be helpful.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m nearly deaf from not wearing ear pro in my youthful invincible days. I wouldn’t know if my FRS were making noise or not. If they were I’d probably just turn up the radio a little more…. Problem solved.