Fox 3.0 rear noise…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJC8713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 3.0s are pretty quiet, the rear i definitely hear the bypass click which im fine with. But my tailgate is noisy as hell. So much clunky wobble noises.

ScottyMacSD

Reaction score
So interesting update. The shock top hats are contacting the shock mount on droop. And not like a little bit — it’s damaging the top hats. I did not think it would be necessary to trim the shock mounts to fit these. Anyone else experience this?
Yes the 3.0 rears on mine have done the same thing. After I installed the rears, I noticed that one of the shocks seemed to be loose inside like it wasn't tightened down to specs or something, so when i wiggled it side to side i could feel it was slightly loose where the other was not and it has always made more noise than the other. Also since there is no cover to protect the adjustment knobs they have been bent from rocks flying up hitting them making it impossible to adjust them now.

Now all four make all kinds of noise, and am about to order a new set of the reducer sleeves that slide into either side of the bearings. Ive already replaced the ones on both fronts and realized that the originals were not built to the correct tolerances and s were slightly loose and this was what was causing the clacking when going over speed bumps. The story about them being high performance race shocks and will make noise was a bunch of BS, because as soon as I put sleeves that were tight into the bearing there was no longer any more noise in the front.

After waiting for exactly a year for my rears to finally be delivered, and then after installing noticed that the rears had some issues now too, I was so irritated with fox, I just never felt like trying to get them to correct the issues. When I had ordered new bearings and sleeves, one set of sleeves on both sides were the wrong ones for the 3.0's also didn't receive the rubber oaring's I ordered either, I emailed the guy about it and he asked for me to call him but by this time i was so pissed at fox, I didn't call because it would not have gone well.

I also suggest replacing the bearings if the clunk sound has gotten worse over time, as the bearings wear out and add to the clunking making it sound like a broken engine mount in the fronts and now the rears are making lots of clunking as well, so hope new bearings and sleeve fix the problem. Its the best place to start when trying to locate clunks for sure.

Don't let anyone tell you to just deal with the clunking, Fox is full of shit if they tell you its just how they are. Make them fix the problem with the correct size sleeves. They should fit snug into the bearings with no play at all. If you have any play, that's where the clunk is coming from. Also the bearings themselves should be super stiff if they aren't they will make lots of noise too. Also the bearings don't last too long so plan on changing them out frequently. So much for high performance high end fox shocks. The Bilstein's on my old truck have never had any issue and still ride smooth and quiet. I wish they would have made some for the Raptors.

Anyway i hope the info helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter