ICON 3.0 Coilover, Upper Control Arm + Skid Plate installation write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah Andy, great write up! But how do you feel about skiing? Would you like free room and board in Denver? I've done a number of mods using your advise, but I think I need you here to get this one done (correctly).

I'm drooling after reading your install write up and the recent Icon review you wrote. My front-end bothers me most when off-roading; I hate the heavy landing and nose dives - even on mid-perch. Now I have the ADD Stealth Winch bumper and Warn 9.5 cti-s winch. I'm worried the extra weight will add even more issues.

We got some decent snow this week!! Any idea how much a decent shop or Ford would charge for this install?

This would probably be a costly install. If you went somewhere like SDHQ who does it all the time that's one thing but for a typical shop to tackle this job they would A) probably screw it up and B) Charge you for 6-8 hours labor which would be 500-800 depending on how much the shop charges?

You CAN do this. Set aside a weekend, get the tools you need, skip the beer on this install and just enjoy yourself. It's a rewarding job.

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write up Birdman! Very detailed write-up on the install of these bad boys.

Now you can see why we have been pushing this suspension upgrade so hard. They truly are the best suspension upgrade for the Raptor, hands down!

Enjoy them Birdman!

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Great write up Birdman! Very detailed write-up on the install of these bad boys.

Now you can see why we have been pushing this suspension upgrade so hard. They truly are the best suspension upgrade for the Raptor, hands down!

Enjoy them Birdman!

SDHQ - for the sake of conversation, what would you guys charge for this install? Inquiring minds need to know...

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Well Birdman, how does it perform?!

I still haven't had a chance to hammer on any big stuff but I can tell you that after a couple weeks of street/highway driving I am very impressed with how improved the on-road ride is with the ICONs. I know it seems lame but this IS my daily driver and ride comfort was a huge consideration for me.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remember Birdman, when reviewing your ICONs, keep out the feelings and opinions. We need FACTS and FIGURES. Quantifiable evidence. PROOF Birdman, we need PROOF!!!

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Remember Birdman, when reviewing your ICONs, keep out the feelings and opinions. We need FACTS and FIGURES. Quantifiable evidence. PROOF Birdman, we need PROOF!!!

Ha, but do me a favor and keep in mind between stopping to take multiple pictures before/after each step, making notes, uploading pictures, writing the instructions, etc. this thread took me nearly 8 hours to create.

I'm in on the joke, but keep the ******** in the shock shootout thread where it belongs, ya?

:cheers:

In the meantime, I'll keep you posted on how the ICON setup works for me and me only.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still like the 4-10 hour estimate... LOL

Mostly because its so true! With proper tools and prior experience, 4 is doable. However, most driveway mechanics will be closer to the latter... Good stuff!

Are you keeping on "S" for daily driving, on the fronts? Have your changed the rear bypass adjustments at all?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I still like the 4-10 hour estimate... LOL

Mostly because its so true! With proper tools and prior experience, 4 is doable. However, most driveway mechanics will be closer to the latter... Good stuff!

Are you keeping on "S" for daily driving, on the fronts? Have your changed the rear bypass adjustments at all?

S for daily driving yes. Honestly on half way decent roads I couldn't tell the difference on different settings. Messing around off-road I could certainly tell. I did not install the rears, yet.