I think I have the dreaded Cam Phaser Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dunno what's "dreaded" about it....dreaded would be dropping a lifter or 3 & wiping out the cam lobes/top end of a GM or Mopar V8 w/ DOD feature. I "think" my 2018 w/ 27k miles has started doing some cam phaser rattle on cold initial start on occasion, but don't see what the concern/"dread" would be when MANY people have NEVER had this "fixed" by the dealer & run their vehicles 100k trade em in don't look back....My understanding is you can have the noise ongoing for 10's of thousands of miles w/o any issue or excess wear to other components

jimmyv13

Reaction score
My local dealer told me to go ahead and have them replaced, the new parts are better and won't fail again. I'm at 86K.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I'm bringing my truck to the dealer tomorrow am for the TSB on the rough shifting trans - I have a 11/17 build date. Anyway, I also have bad phasers to this morning I thought I'd video a remote cold start. Damn thing made no noise SMH. I'll try again tomorrow.