I think I have the dreaded Cam Phaser Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes but did they fix the issue? ive seen many trucks after this build date with the exact same issues as well as a couple 2020s posted on facebook with the issue....just because they stamp a new part number on something doesn't mean it fixed the problem

The phaser locking pin mechanism was completely redesigned to eliminate the issue that was occurring. That doesn't mean out of millions of vehicles with 4 phasers each that there will never be another defective one. Don't put too much weight on people self diagnosing their vehicles over the internet; that's a slippery slope. I've seen everything from turbocharger wastegate rattle to transmission pump noise misdiagnosed as a cam phaser concern.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The phaser locking pin mechanism was completely redesigned to eliminate the issue that was occurring. That doesn't mean out of millions of vehicles with 4 phasers each that there will never be another defective one. Don't put too much weight on people self diagnosing their vehicles over the internet; that's a slippery slope. I've seen everything from turbocharger wastegate rattle to transmission pump noise misdiagnosed as a cam phaser concern.
I've read about cam phasers issues since I got my early 2017 built truck. Is this issue just bad luck on certain trucks or what? No issues with mine at all. Of course I don't drive it like I stole it either. Thanks for your feed back

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've read about cam phasers issues since I got my early 2017 built truck. Is this issue just bad luck on certain trucks or what? No issues with mine at all. Of course I don't drive it like I stole it either. Thanks for your feed back

Only a certain percentage of phasers were affected by the issue, so not every truck in the population will experience a concern. If you have an early build '17 and haven't had an issue by now, you should be fine.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only a certain percentage of phasers were affected by the issue, so not every truck in the population will experience a concern. If you have an early build '17 and haven't had an issue by now, you should be fine.
Thank you. Truck was actually built in oct 2016. Visited the in laws in Dearborn and visited the rouge plant in nov of 16 to see if could get a glimpse of the dreaded ramp 59 everyone was talking about. Highly recommend the tour!! What a awesome place. Thanks again

MntBrew

Reaction score

I believe it was on this forum that a member posted a video of a Ford tech disassembling one his phasers and said the locking pin was made of plastic. Do you know if the original GEN 2 phaser used a plastic locking and is the redesigned locking pin made out of metal?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe it was on this forum that a member posted a video of a Ford tech disassembling one his phasers and said the locking pin was made of plastic. Do you know if the original GEN 2 phaser used a plastic locking and is the redesigned locking pin made out of metal?

No phaser has ever had a plastic locking pin. The original was made of metal, and the redesigned part is also made of metal. Not sure how such a rumor got started.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No phaser has ever had a plastic locking pin. The original was made of metal, and the redesigned part is also made of metal. Not sure how such a rumor got started.

About 3:25 in the tech calls it “hardened plastic”

I assume that’s the locking pin that was broke?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MntBrew

Reaction score

About 3:25 in the tech calls it “hardened plastic”

I assume that’s the locking pin that was broke?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the video I was referring too. However after watching it again, it appears as though the pin at the 1:52 mark is the locking pin and it does look like it's metalic but then at the 3:37 mark the tech calls the pin that they're looking at the locking pin and says that it's made out of hardened plastic. Maybe it was just a case of misidentification on the part of the tech but it was a question that has been buggin me for the longest time and no one had asked it yet and I had to know.