How to spend $5k on new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Can you give some more details on what this warranty is and where I can get it from?

Sure,

ESP Contract: PremiumCAR:
marker_1.gif
$50 Deductible
marker_1.gif
8 years
marker_1.gif
125000 miles

Options:
marker_1.gif
First Day Rental: Yes
marker_1.gif
Enhanced Rental: Yes
marker_1.gif
Lighting: No(Deleted)
marker_1.gif
Key Services: No(Deleted)
marker_1.gif
Commercial: No
marker_1.gif
Snowplow: No

Price:

$2540
Plan Bochure: Download Here

Gardiner Reynolds
Flood Ford
(888)318-8534

pixel_clear.gif
pixel_white.gif

pixel_clear.gif

spacer.gif

pete888

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s the BBK work? It seems the weak link in braking distance is the tires ?

The stock breaks for me felt squishy but I may be a bit bias as my other vehicles have very good breaks. Heavier aftermarket wheels and KM3s didn't help either.

pete888

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the PPF is what I was wanting to do first but the only place around here is wanting $4200 for all of it except the bed. Seems like there would be better way to spend the first $4k on the truck is why I’m asking.
I do plan on taking it over road a lot and don’t want to always worry about brush sticking out in a few areas, other than than rock chips nor car doors in parking lots.
I am still leaning towards this option first though. thanks

I rather be safe than sorry so I PFF all my vehicles. Price of PFF really depends on wither you have installers that will custom cut the film and pull apart your truck to tuck in the film. The price can go up to 8-9k for custom. A roll of film is maybe $1700 but it's the labor that will kill you.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the PPF is expensive, it cost a lot more if you have to first fix all the paint down the road. I would vote for the PPF.

I drove my Evo straight from the dealer to the clear bra installer. Paint looks brand new to this day.

I figured my truck didn’t need it because it’s a truck and they get beat up. I go four wheeling and due to narrow CO trails, I get some nice pin stripping on all sides. I’m hesitant to do it now because the paint is no longer perfect. I really wish I would’ve done it when it was brand new.

If you’re intent on not doing PPF, I would say Geissers and Deavers to get the front +2.5” and the rear +1”.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
The stock breaks for me felt squishy but I may be a bit bias as my other vehicles have very good breaks. Heavier aftermarket wheels and KM3s didn't help either.

it feels "squishy" because it is a linear brake actuation with a lot of pedal travel. ( which is ideal for the dirt and left-foot-braking, but leaves something to be desired on the street)

So yeah, the pedal feel is designed to be that way.

pete888

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it feels "squishy" because it is a linear brake actuation with a lot of pedal travel. ( which is ideal for the dirt and left-foot-braking, but leaves something to be desired on the street)

So yeah, the pedal feel is designed to be that way.

I learn something new everyday. Thanks for explaining why the brakes were design that way. Majority of the time I use the Raptor to haul my kids around town so I'm not a big fan of the squishy feel.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I learn something new everyday. Thanks for explaining why the brakes were design that way. Majority of the time I use the Raptor to haul my kids around town so I'm not a big fan of the squishy feel.

you can improve it, but obviously big brake kits are 10% of the cost of the truck ( and that isn't doable for a lot of people.)

I don't feel like changing to fancy pads, rotors and stainless lines makes a noticeable difference, because what a lot of people aren't aware of is that the "modes" in the truck also manipulate braking. There is a different static "precharge" to the booster, the ABS reactions are different and the pedal travel till braking is actually applied changes.

So in a nutshell, it would probably be way more noticeable if someone where able to manipulate the braking system programming.

I've also come to find ( at least for me) that learning to "brake properly" in the raptor is really similar to when I've taught people how to drive on a track. The student is usually quite apprehensive when you tell them to "wait till the last split second, then "stand" on the brakes. If you stomp the raptor brakes, they stop the truck quite effectively.

If you are ginger with the brakes, it kind of feels like they are undersized or are underperforming.

I'll post up some findings once I get my raptor back. I did some pavement stop testing with it before I dropped it off to get alcons.

OP
OP
G

Gwain

Reaction score
Okay, I have decided on my first main purchase or modification. That is besides the stowaway ramps I already purchased. I’m getting part of my truck doing today in Expel PPF for $2200, more details here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dropping-off-raptor-to-get-ppf-today-and.73744/

Then when the dealer gets my Raptor decal on the bed I am going to get the rest which is the bed wrapped and I had a question on whether or not the fender flares should be wrapped as well.

then I am doing a ceramic coating over the PPF and roof that isn’t covered.

Then next is where I will need more advice which I appreciate all of your answers before in this thread. I would think a winch is next for the area I am in and I know I wouldn’t go thru most things without having it so kind of ruins the joy if I don’t have one in this part of the country which is MS.

problem is the cost. I’ve never heard of a vehicle costing so much just to put a winch on it.
I really like the SwarfWorks option as it had a Cobb intercooler relocation that I was going to get later anyway. But just the rest of the necessary equipment like mount and all is so expensive.

$4500 for this complete setup which has two lights as well but still that’s just crazy.

so again comes back to is it worth knowing you don’t use it that much but damn when you need it your really need it or its an all night ordeal.

I also really love the Hennessey ship kit for $10k. I love the way that truck looks. I do not like the bumper not being made for a winch though. And even though I do love the look. I had paid an extra $1800 for the Ford headlocks that I would have to take off and would of been a waste as well.

so jumping ahead but I forgot I should just start next with a catch can probably.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There was a guy on here who actually fabricated a tow hook mount for a winch. That kind of flexibility would pique my interest.