Dropping off Raptor to get PPF today and

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwain

Reaction score
And I have a few questions.

so I’m finally taking it to the same guy I mentioned earlier that I thought was too high at $4400 for the entire front half of truck excluding the bed bc dealer still owes me the Raptor decal on the bed.

I found out this same Xpel installer had done a friend of mine two McCleran and GT3 the past couple of weeks. I took my truck to speak to him in person and we went over what all he had quoted. Well he was quoting everything for the front half. All the plastics as well, which I didn’t even know Xpel had all those options under precut sheets he showed me which his plotter cuts them out. I told him to limit it to only the black painted pieces, mirrors, headlights, A frame, B frame (assuming pieces on side in the middle of the driver and passenger door, and not do the roof which then brought the total down to $2200.

I thought this was a great deal and when the dealer gets my decal on I’m taking it back to do the bed, but maybe not the tailgate unless advised to do so.

I then am taking it to get a ceramic coat all on the PPF and the parts not covered such as the roof.

my question is the gray plastics pieces being wrapped in PPF, whether or not this is necessary like he first included in the price. For instance. The Ford up front does that get chipped away where it looks bad?

what about the extended fenders pieces? Those were very expensive to do bc of the amount of Xpel sheets it takes for that huge arch. I know things are going to hit them and limbs scratch if riding on tight trails, but they are gray and I am asking do they look terrible and most people get them covered as well? I thought it was mainly for the painted area, but please tell me what yours look like that were not wrapped and if you wished you would of had them or not please?

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had most of my truck wrapped with PPF when my original plan was to only PPF the fender extensions. I had read here that a lot of guys wished they had protected these pieces as they are the 1st to get marred up in the wild. Which for me would be my kids playing around the truck! [emoji3]
Just a side note, when my fender extensions where wrapped with PPF they now look more like gloss black than matte or satin grey.
After 8 months I’m still not sure I like it.
My truck is white so others say it looks better with more black but the gloss sheen is what I have a problem with I guess.
Anyway have them test an area for you if this could be a concern for you as well.
Good Luck!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

OP
OP
G

Gwain

Reaction score
I had most of my truck wrapped with PPF when my original plan was to only PPF the fender extensions. I had read here that a lot of guys wished they had protected these pieces as they are the 1st to get marred up in the wild. Which for me would be my kids playing around the truck! [emoji3]
Just a side note, when my fender extensions where wrapped with PPF they now look more like gloss black than matte or satin grey.
After 8 months I’m still not sure I like it.
My truck is white so others say it looks better with more black but the gloss sheen is what I have a problem with I guess.
Anyway have them test an area for you if this could be a concern for you as well.
Good Luck!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

Thank you for your comment. I read it to the installer this morning when I dropped my truck off. He said if I decide to get the fender flares done later Expel has a Stealth version that is matte so it will not have that shine.
My truck is black with gray fender flares and I’m not looking it at now, but I thought you wanted them to shine like a gloss anyway on this color. I will have to look at it again in person, maybe the matte would be best on these as well.
Thanks for your advice and heads up.

under_psi

Reaction score
where are you taking it here?

I am in Madison and also have a new 2020 raptor. I am dropping it for ceramic tomorrow evening......

just curious. saw your post the other day and was going to speak but forgot...

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI ... If you plan to do PPF then you want to PPF 1st then ceramic coat and not the other way around.

I am in Madison and also have a new 2020 raptor. I am dropping it for ceramic tomorrow evening......

Jamie Wise

Reaction score
I didn't get the fender flares done. I just did all of the painted metal surfaces. They also did the headlights. I figured for the the cost of doing PPF on the fender flares, I could just buy new ones if needed.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
new flares are actually very expensive. They are over 1k before shipping and come on a pallet. But I understand your decision.

I didn't get the fender flares done. I just did all of the painted metal surfaces. They also did the headlights. I figured for the the cost of doing PPF on the fender flares, I could just buy new ones if needed.

OP
OP
G

Gwain

Reaction score

Well the dealer told me to go to It’s Vinyl Y’all which I called and they were very nice but never made it up to Canton, because I really wanted Xpel and had started texting with the manager at Auto Trim Designs named Jonathan on 80 in Pearl next to JD Byrider. I was hesitant since I couldn’t find them on Xpel site nor anyone in the JACKSON area. I happened to run into a friend of mine whose friend just had a McCleran fully done and knew
That was the same guy Jonathan.

I went by there and he had several police cars for decals and a Porsche GTR 3 plus a very expensive Mercedes and another McClaren so I knew he must be great with all these other guys having their nice cars done, bc their just aren’t many $200k sports cars in the area.

he explained he has been doing this for ten years (was using something else before Xpel) so didn’t go to the class in Arizona and pay the $2500 each year for something he already knew, but agreed being on their site would help with marketing.

next I am doing the ceramic coats thru a guy two others recommended Robinson Detail somewhere in Brandon.

Jamie Wise

Reaction score
new flares are actually very expensive. They are over 1k before shipping and come on a pallet. But I understand your decision.

1k each or for the full set? To be honest a slightly scratched fender won’t annoy me quite as near as much as scratched paint.