GEN 1 How do our half axels connect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
892ea02da7110d0c8974f0b433af7a53.jpg

Going to replace both axles. How do they connect? Are their bolts below the boot?

Thanks!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS44

Reaction score
Im pretty sure they are just splined on the differential. Take the axle off on the wheel side then pull the cv axle off. Might have to bang it off with a hammer.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres a bunch of ball bearings inside with a retainer ring. i had to rebuild mine when i accidentally let it drop when changing my shock. but yes, they just stuff in there. dont forget to clean it all out and stuff it with lots of grease

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a bunch of ball bearings inside with a retainer ring. i had to rebuild mine when i accidentally let it drop when changing my shock. but yes, they just stuff in there. dont forget to clean it all out and stuff it with lots of grease

So if I remove the axle nut at the hub then it will just pull out? Thanks!

C

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I remove the axle nut at the hub then it will just pull out? Thanks!

C

yep. and dont forget to remove the brake line and 4wd vacuum hose. you will need to line it up before giving it a good shove to get it into place

MasterKeebs

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, I believe the drivers side also has a seal that needs to be replaced. I could be wrong, but am almost positive I remember reading something or seeing something about a drivers side seal on YouTube.

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit more to replacing the axle. The upper ball joint has to be busted loose,tierod needs to be removed from spindle,Remove axle dust cap and unbolt the axle nut, pull all the brake line retainers as well as the iwe hose and wheel senser retainers, two of the clamps are bolted on the rest just pull off. . You need to compress the axle cv joints and have the spindle pushed outward as far as it will go. You can then squeeze the axle past the iwe seal. You now need to get a large screw driver or pry bar in by the axle seal on differential and axle( in the above pic you can see where the axle steps down and the seal on the diff. The pry bar has to go in there). You just give a hard pull on the pry bar and the axle will pop out. The axle is retained by a small copper ring. Do not try and pull on the axle to remove it. It will more than likely come apart at one of the boots. The new axle just pushes in and snaps into place.

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also mention that you do have to remove the shocks to remove the axles. That big lump of metal you see on the axle in the above picture will not go past the shock.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I should also mention that you do have to remove the shocks to remove the axles. That big lump of metal you see on the axle in the above picture will not go past the shock.

completely incorrect.

You need to use a pry bar between the dif and the CV to get the snap ring to release inside the dif.

you will need to undo the upper A arm to spindle nut, The stub nut, The brake caliper, the tie rod attachment to the knuckle and mind the IWE/brakeline/ABs sensor wires while you remove the axle.

It shouldnt take more than 10-15 mins per side if you go slow.

If you dont put a stub into the driver's side of the front dif, or replace it with a different axle, all of your gear oil will leak out. .

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced one of my axles and could not get it past the shock. Maybe if I spent more time I could have got it past. I do have the 3.0 fox shocks but doubt that would be the problem. Only take a few minutes to pull shock.