Help w/selecting correct radio equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First time you can borrow a hand held but for bigger ones is where I'm recommending the tyt, I did the cheep rough first ended up getting the tyt so do it right the first time will actualy save you money.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rob in CA,
Make sure the antenna is a NMO mount. You have picked a lip mount NMO antenna base. Unless I misread the antenna you picked said 'non NMO mount'....
Eddie

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also borrowing one the first time you can listen to what ones you like check them out that's what it's all about. Have fun

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time you can borrow a hand held but for bigger ones is where I'm recommending the tyt, I did the cheep rough first ended up getting the tyt so do it right the first time will actualy save you money.

Thats good advice. That's why I figured I might as well go all the way with this, so I won't have to do it again down the road.

Rob in CA,
Make sure the antenna is a NMO mount. You have picked a lip mount NMO antenna base. Unless I misread the antenna you picked said 'non NMO mount'....
Eddie

Hmm, I looked at the Antenna from the link I posted and under mount type it says "Order separately from NMO style mounts". Maybe I'm missing something? Wouldn't be the first time lol.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually PM'd him a few days ago. I think he may be busy with snoball though. I'm debating whether to wait for him, or just order off amazon.

Contact him through LVJ Motorsports.com and @Kmandoske will usually answer right away plus you can just place the order right on his site. He just sent me a radio last week so he's still available to sell stuff.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The antenna is NMO. The combination will work barring you don't need more than that 6.5'

Click here to donate $5 for a chance to win $500 worth of Rogue Racing goodies!

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact him through LVJ Motorsports.com and @Kmandoske will usually answer right away plus you can just place the order right on his site. He just sent me a radio last week so he's still available to sell stuff.

Thanks for the info!

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

The antenna is NMO. The combination will work barring you don't need more than that 6.5'

Ok good. Glad I wasn't misunderstanding what it was saying. Thanks!

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to pci and get a 50 watt, do the magnetic mount and try it out and see how you use it. I put mine below the glove box. I use to just screw in the antenna and run it between the seats to the back and out the door jam worked perfect every time. I would take it out after the runs and nobody could tell. I like mine so much I committed to the roof mount. But to each their own.
937c37a8794ed8bb64a67cb964411f6b.jpg

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to pci and get a 50 watt, do the magnetic mount and try it out and see how you use it. I put mine below the glove box. I use to just screw in the antenna and run it between the seats to the back and out the door jam worked perfect every time. I would take it out after the runs and nobody could tell. I like mine so much I committed to the roof mount. But to each their own.
937c37a8794ed8bb64a67cb964411f6b.jpg

PCI? Not familiar with them. You bring up something I've been going back and fourth with though, which is how permanent do I want it to do be. I would only use it during runs, so I'm kind of leaning towards having it be easily removable like you're talking about.

Edit: Found PCI after a quick Google search.

Edit x2: I'm digging there chase packages. Makes it easy. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Ok good. Glad I wasn't misunderstanding what it was saying. Thanks!

No problem bro. Keith is a good dude I've bought a few things from him. Plus if you have any questions or need help with any problems while you're installing it he has no problem helping you over the phone. You don't get that kind of service when you just order something online.