Help me identify this noise please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I can't hear anything on either of the attachments, but I was born with nerve deafness that effects high pitch noise and general hearing just below the normal speech range. It has been a curse at times with terrible ringing almost constantly. Then at times it is a blessing like if this was my truck all I hear is the nice purr of a 6.2 V8. It also comes in handy to blame my hearing when I do the selective hearing of the wife when I need too. Hope you find the issue if not the radio can be your salvation.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread. i hooked up forscan lite this evening because I have been dealing with hardly imperceptible misses. I feel validated after seeing cylinders 1,4,8 showing a miss.
Im taking the truck in on Monday but if anyone notices anything else in the data worth mentioning please speak up! This is my first time using forscan so I’m not great at deciphering the data. Normally id just replace all the plugs wires and coils, but since I have ESP and ignition coils are part of the program, I’ll let Ford look at it first.

Attachments

• text-BC64B88E5A67-1.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 6

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I kinda read 1,4,8, you has 5, counts on 1..... 1 count on 4....... 1 count on 8..... in a drive cycle but you are allowed 65,535 in a cycle. The evaporations stuff is where I might start looking. This is the first forscan I have looked at so I could be way wrong, @FordTechOne Knows I am sure.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you waste a lot of time and money at the dealership fill the tank with top tier 91-93 octane gasoline add two bottles of BG44K, Drive the Raptor fairly aggressive for the entire tank of fuel, get out on the highway where you can do some hard pulls to 90-100+, This will clean the fuel system and injectors while burning built up carbon on the valves and in the combustion chambers. Make sure the engine and transmission are at operating temperature before doing any hard driving. See if that doesn't smooth things out a bit.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you waste a lot of time and money at the dealership fill the tank with top tier 91-93 octane gasoline add two bottles of BG44K, Drive the Raptor fairly aggressive for the entire tank of fuel, get out on the highway where you can do some hard pulls to 90-100+, This will clean the fuel system and injectors while burning built up carbon on the valves and in the combustion chambers. Make sure the engine and transmission are at operating temperature before doing any hard driving. See if that doesn't smooth things out a bit.
I have done this, but with Liqui moly fuel system cleaner. Unfortunately if I drive It hard I do get a blinkInd wrench and a shutter from the misfiring.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda read 1,4,8, you has 5, counts on 1..... 1 count on 4....... 1 count on 8..... in a drive cycle but you are allowed 65,535 in a cycle. The evaporations stuff is where I might start looking. This is the first forscan I have looked at so I could be way wrong, @FordTechOne Knows I am sure.
I also saw the EVAP but couldn’t decipher the .040” and what in the word I should be looking for

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I had my wife bring the rpm up to 1200 so I could try to find the source of the noise, it seemed it was coming from the TB although I couldn’t pin it down. Is the purge valve a point of failure on these trucks, and could it be related to the EVAP issue I’m having? @Gumby really has me thinking!

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
when I had my wife bring the rpm up to 1200 so I could try to find the source of the noise, it seemed it was coming from the TB although I couldn’t pin it down. Is the purge valve a point of failure on these trucks, and could it be related to the EVAP issue I’m having? @Gumby really has me thinking!
I’ve got a brand new purge valve you can try