Help me identify this noise please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here’s the deal, 2012 Raptor 24k miles. When it’s cold, it has this annoying, difficult to distinguish noise that is mostly heard in the cab. After 25 minutes or so it seems to go away or atleast faint enough that I can’t hear it. Under higher power settings it also goes away. Difficult to hear at idle unless really cold. I stabbed the mechanics stethoscope everywhere and can’t seem to find the location.

I told ford about it twice and got the same old “could not duplicate“ saga.

checked coils, no arcing that I can tell.

I thought manifold leak but no obvious signs.

Attachments

• IMG_5061.mov
    12.1 MB

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Cam phasers.

But seriously, I can't hear anything abnormal. Listened to the video over 10 times. Are you talking about the wi e after you hit the gas as it is spooling back down? Maybe an idler pulley is starting to go.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could upload the whole vid but it’s a tapping noise especially noticeable when it’s spooling down. between 1000 and 2500 rpm spooling up

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember @FordTechOne had mentioned the 3.5TT has a tapping noise from the injectors. Not sure if the 6.2 does the same or not.
The injectors I’m used to from my X5m. This is not the injectors. the noise is a touch deeper than the injectors. Thanks for troubleshooting with me though!

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really doesn’t seem to be the belts, not that my belt doesn’t need attention. It can best be heard with doors closed at 1000 rpm.