Help me identify this noise please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update
replaced #4 coil and associated 2 plugs

unsurprisingly they did not do any work on the other cylinders showing misfires, but no code.
If anyone is curious, $725 for the work before I reminded them of my ESP. Hopefully I get the truck back soon, they said either tonight or Monday which is interesting if the work is apparently complete.

Why are dealers apprehensive to throw parts at problems even if they aren’t severe enough to throw a code that moment? I mean if multiple cylinders are showing misfires, why not fix them all and send the bill to ford? What is the benefit of sending me on my way knowing I’ll likely return soon for other cylinder misfires?

I will say that they have been nothing but kind to me. The service staff has been great from a front desk perspective.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Because diagnosing problems is hard and expensive with a well trained technician. Throwing parts at something is cheaper and you can pay a less skilled worker.

Computers on cars are nice to the extent of the end user. But makes for a lazy parts changer.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because diagnosing problems is hard and expensive with a well trained technician. Throwing parts at something is cheaper and you can pay a less skilled worker.

Computers on cars are nice to the extent of the end user. But makes for a lazy parts changer.
In this case Nex I would prefer they throw parts at it. I prefer they’d replace all coils and all plugs in every cylinder that is misfiring. Not just the one that is throwing the code.
When I get the truck back the first order of business will be to replace all the other coils/plugs. If one failed the others are surely next

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the latest log before I brought it in. Sorry for leaving you guys in the dark!

Attachments

• text-A2E0F29BD9FC-1.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
In this case Nex I would prefer they throw parts at it. I prefer they’d replace all coils and all plugs in every cylinder that is misfiring. Not just the one that is throwing the code.
When I get the truck back the first order of business will be to replace all the other coils/plugs. If one failed the others are surely next

Ford does not authorize this approach. Dealership would not get repaid.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford does not authorize this approach. Dealership would not get repaid.
I really don’t understand how the process works for dealerships getting paid back for warranty work. I assumed that they just complete repairs under consultation with ford who ultimately authorizes and pays the bill. I assume they put a lot of trust in the tech but I’m sure it’s gotten much more corporate than that.
I agree with you in that Ford shouldn’t take that approach. It makes sense not to throw parts at problems in general, but if there is a component that isn’t functioning properly I think part of the troubleshooting process may involve new parts.
I’d be surprised to find that ford views misfiring to be normal and not requiring maintenance action. Then again I’m not a tech.
Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised on Monday when I pick up the truck.