Questionable Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed a noise a week or two ago while I was coming to a stop. It kind of sounded like maybe something was rubbing on the tires. I have mud flaps in the front and thought that might be the culprit. Looked around the wheel and didn't see anything rubbing. The more I payed attention to it, I noticed the noise when I slow down and get to about 20 or 25 mph. Thought maybe it was the brakes but then noticed it even when I let up off the brakes. I also noticed it more while the engine and transmission are are still cold. It goes away the more I drive. Also kind of sounds like the engine winding down but louder and I can feel a faint vibration. Maybe the exhaust or something with the transmission? It is kind of hard to pinpoint because it doesn't happen every time I slow down but it is definitely noticeable and not normal as I just started noticing it a couple weeks ago. Truck has been in normal driving mode when I noticed so not the normal downshift you notice when the truck is in Sport mode. My Raptor is a 21 with about 27,000 miles on it.
Anybody notice anything similar or have any thoughts?

Tango2

Reaction score
'21 here with 10,200 miles. I have just recently noticed the same issue. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they drove it for 10 miles or so and claimed it was just tire noise. They did not see any issues. After a tire rotation was completed they claimed the noise was more subdued but to me the noise is still there and sounds the same. The noise is noticeable between 7 and 15mph with or without usage of the brakes.

OP
OP
H

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'21 here with 10,200 miles. I have just recently noticed the same issue. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they drove it for 10 miles or so and claimed it was just tire noise. They did not see any issues. After a tire rotation was completed they claimed the noise was more subdued but to me the noise is still there and sounds the same. The noise is noticeable between 7 and 15mph with or without usage of the brakes.
I am confident this is something the dealer (at least my dealer) will never find unless it gets worse. I am going to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. It can literally come and from stop to stop. One stop it will do it and the next it won't and then it will do it again. It is one of those things were most people wouldn't notice unless you know your truck. Check this thread out.

TheSkinMusket

Reaction score
I have the same problem and know exactly what you are talking about. I just took my truck into the dealer this week. (2021, 18,000 miles). They diagnosed it as a problem with the IWE. There is a failure in the system in the right front that causes the hub to partially engage which creates the grinding, rubbing noise. Theoretically this would go away when put in 4A or 4H. Unfortunately, they don’t have the parts in stock to fix it. (They don’t have the parts to fix the exhaust rattle either, how nice).

I’m going to pick my truck up tomorrow and they claim it is fine to drive until the parts come in. I don’t know that I believe them but I will talk to the service manager and report back anything illuminating that I find out.

Last edited:

cyle

Reaction score
I have the same problem and know exactly what you are talking about. I just took my truck into the dealer this week. (2021, 18,000 miles). They diagnosed it as a problem with the IWE. There is a failure in the system in the right front that causes the hub to partially engage which creates the grinding, rubbing noise. Theoretically this would go away when put in 4A or 4H. Unfortunately, they don’t have the parts in stock to fix it. (They don’t have the parts to fix the exhaust rattle either, how nice).

I’m going to pick my truck up tomorrow and they claim it is fine to drive until the parts come in. I don’t know that I believe them but I will talk to the service manager and report back anything illuminating that I find out.
Any update on this? I've seen the dozens of threads of IWE issues happening at higher speeds, but this is the only thread I've really come across that has my exact symptoms, mileage, year.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? I've seen the dozens of threads of IWE issues happening at higher speeds, but this is the only thread I've really come across that has my exact symptoms, mileage, year.
I have the same IWE issues, only happens when stopping under 15 mph in 2wd (truck also has to be warmed up after a couple miles). It almost sounds like tire noise or a rock stuck in the rotor. I'm just driving in 4a until there is a TSB or part redesign.

OP
OP
H

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same IWE issues, only happens when stopping under 15 mph in 2wd (truck also has to be warmed up after a couple miles). It almost sounds like tire noise or a rock stuck in the rotor. I'm just driving in 4a until there is a TSB or part redesign.
Less than 15 mph is when I first noticed the issue and for awhile was the only time I noticed it. Later I started noticing it as I started to reach some higher speeds (30-40 mph). Now I am noticing it back at the 15 mph when slowing down. Sometimes it is more obvious than other times.