Godzilla 7.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Soooooo glad I was on Vacay for a couple weeks while the 3.5-7.3 debate raged on..lol
Like I mentioned in my original post, the 7.3 swap into a Gen 1 makes a lot of sense to me.

I spent some time discussing this engine's design with Brian Wolfe.
For those that don't know that name, Brian is the retired Director of Ford Racing, so when it comes to what this engine was designed for I trust what he says, more than anyone else on this forum. The dude is legit the grand father of Godzilla performance and and straight from FORD.. he is in the know.

Brian told me point blank that the engine was designed with performance in mind, then dumbed down to make it fit the truck application.
He said they knew exactly what they wanted to get out of it from the very start, and performance came before utility.
So don't believe the garbage that its the wrong engine for a performance application.
imagine that... a performance truck engine in a performance truck...

while it probably doesn't make sense to put a stock godzilla engine straight from super duty, who really is going to go thru all the time and effort and money to do this swap on any generation raptor for that matter, and leave it stock?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Soooooo glad I was on Vacay for a couple weeks while the 3.5-7.3 debate raged on..lol
Like I mentioned in my original post, the 7.3 swap into a Gen 1 makes a lot of sense to me.

I spent some time discussing this engine's design with Brian Wolfe.
For those that don't know that name, Brian is the retired Director of Ford Racing, so when it comes to what this engine was designed for I trust what he says, more than anyone else on this forum. The dude is legit the grand father of Godzilla performance and and straight from FORD.. he is in the know.

Brian told me point blank that the engine was designed with performance in mind, then dumbed down to make it fit the truck application.
He said they knew exactly what they wanted to get out of it from the very start, and performance came before utility.
So don't believe the garbage that its the wrong engine for a performance application.
The guy runs an aftermarket performance shop, Willis Performance Enterprises LLC. Of course he’s going to tell you it’s designed for “performance”, thats what he sells. It’s hearsay and a conflict of interest.

The story that the engine was “designed with performance in mind” and “dumbed down” to fit a truck application makes no sense, nor is there any evidence to even suggest that theory. “Performance came before Utility” on an engine literally designed from the ground up as an HD truck engine for Super Duty, F-650/750, and F-53/59 stripped chassis? Those are the applications are where the engine is used exclusively. These are vehicles with GCWRs of up to 37,000lbs. You don’t design an engine for a “performance” application and then “dumb it down” for a 37,000lb truck application. The only place where it’s “dumbed down” is in E-Series and Medium Duty applications, where power ratings are reduced.

But hey, I’m only referencing the new model training and information published directly by Ford engineering, obviously someone forgot to tell them the true purpose of the 600lb cast iron engine they designed. Despite the theories floating around, the displacement of the engine was not selected for “performance” or as a homage to the old diesel, it was the best combination of bore and stroke for the RPM range that commercial customers commonly operate the engine on a loaded HD truck. But don’t let that get in the way of the ridiculous theories that is was “designed for performance” and adapted to HD applications :happy175:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wahhh?

FordTechOne- For well over the last year, has spouted off about how this engine cannot rev, cannot breathe, and is simply a dump truck engine. Surely he knows better than the guy who designed it.
I was actually referring to the boat anchor in your slow old dump truck, but as far as the 7.3 guy he’s referencing, he didn’t “design it”; you’re about as gullible as they come. He was out the door before it ever saw the light of day. This is directly from the Ford Gas Engine engineering manager:

"This engine brings a wealth of gasoline-fueled torque from very low rpm. It's not just about the peak numbers, it's about what it can do across the rpm range," he added.
Given its intended use, it delivers a long, flat torque curve that is ready to haul whatever is behind it for a long time. It also offers a more affordable option for those who don't need diesel performance.
"The design work was based on what our commercial customers need, and we've got years of experience with them. When they came to us they were talking about accessible power for everyday usage, mechanical simplicity, and they also wanted a compact package so it's easy to work on. Above all, it's got to have long-term durability and bring overall efficiency for their fleets." -Joel Beltramo

It’s an HD/Commercial Fleet engine. People can swap it into whatever they want, it doesn’t change the engine’s intended purpose, which is happens to be a segment leader in.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The guy runs an aftermarket performance shop, Willis Performance Enterprises LLC. Of course he’s going to tell you it’s designed for “performance”, thats what he sells. It’s hearsay and a conflict of interest.

The story that the engine was “designed with performance in mind” and “dumbed down” to fit a truck application makes no sense, nor is there any evidence to even suggest that theory. “Performance came before Utility” on an engine literally designed from the ground up as an HD truck engine for Super Duty, F-650/750, and F-53/59 stripped chassis? Those are the applications are where the engine is used exclusively. These are vehicles with GCWRs of up to 37,000lbs. You don’t design an engine for a “performance” application and then “dumb it down” for a 37,000lb truck application. The only place where it’s “dumbed down” is in E-Series and Medium Duty applications, where power ratings are reduced.

But hey, I’m only referencing the new model training and information published directly by Ford engineering, obviously someone forgot to tell them the true purpose of the 600lb cast iron engine they designed. Despite the theories floating around, the displacement of the engine was not selected for “performance” or as a homage to the old diesel, it was the best combination of bore and stroke for the RPM range that commercial customers commonly operate the engine on a loaded HD truck. But don’t let that get in the way of the ridiculous theories that is was “designed for performance” and adapted to HD applications :happy175:

hence why FP is packaging it under their nameplate and offering multiple versions?? you are so smart..

its not a ford service parts crate engine... its a FP crate engine, with M as the first number in the part numbers..

listen man, we all know that you despise any V8 truck engines.. its ok to put V8 engines that came from cars, into trucks, but not truck V8s into trucks... once again, no one in this thread cares about your opinion on this subject.

im sure brian wolfe had no say in creating a 650HP version of the engine while he was the director of FP.. right?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ecoboost:
Horsepower450@5,850
Torque510@3,000

7.3L
MetricValue
Max power @ RPM430 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max torque @ RPM475 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

megazilla
The result is a big boost in output, from the Godzilla’s ratings of 430 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque to 615 horsepower and 640 pound-feet of torque
Horsepower peaks at 5,800 rpm, but torque remains above 500 pound-feet from 2,500-6,000 rpm, giving it plenty of low-end grunt, while the full 640 pound-feet arrives at 3,800 rpm

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
listen man, we all know that you despise any V8 truck engines.. its ok to put V8 engines that came from cars, into trucks, but not truck V8s into trucks... once again, no one in this thread cares about your opinion on this subject.
Guy you literally live under a rock. Remember when you said Ford should just offer a SCAB Gen 3 because the regular F-150 comes that way and therefore it wouldn’t cost anything? :happy175:

I don’t “despise” anything except for misinformation and ignorant people. The 7.3 is a great engine, better than the 6.8 is replaced and light years better than the old 6.2. You blindly attach yourself to a number without actually understanding anything about it, you’ve made a fool of yourself on here more than once with your ignorance. Why do you continue to ignore the facts based on a pipe dream?
im sure brian wolfe had no say in creating a 650HP version of the engine while he was the director of FP.. right?
You’re not sure of anything, including the name you had never heard of until it was randomly brought up in this thread as an unverified 3rd party conversion. He wasn’t “Director of FP” either, he was Director of Engineering, Ford Europe. He’s been retired since 2017.

You’ve repeatedly claimed you’re doing the swap, keep us all in the loop. Can’t wait to see how it goes.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guy you literally live under a rock. Remember when you said Ford should just offer a SCAB Gen 3 because the regular F-150 comes that way and therefore it wouldn’t cost anything? :happy175:

I don’t “despise” anything except for misinformation and ignorant people. The 7.3 is a great engine, better than the 6.8 is replaced and light years better than the old 6.2. You blindly attach yourself to a number without actually understanding anything about it, you’ve made a fool of yourself on here more than once with your ignorance. Why do you continue to ignore the facts based on a pipe dream?

You’re not sure of anything, including the name you had never heard of until it was randomly brought up in this thread as an unverified 3rd party conversion. He wasn’t “Director of FP” either, he was Director of Engineering, Ford Europe. He’s been retired since 2017.

You’ve repeatedly claimed you’re doing the swap, keep us all in the loop. Can’t wait to see how it goes.

once again, you have no idea what i do or dont know.. my comments on a gen3 scab were not incorrect. they have a scab, they have the 5.5 bed.. they need a frame and a driveshaft as major components, but once again Ford has neglected their heritage.. there has always been a scab, and there always should be as long as there is a raptor.

ive heard of brian wolfe plenty of times before this thread, smart guy, forum ambassador and chief name caller in charge. you're right though, a news article i read incorrectly listed him as a former FP director, but in fact he was director of motorsport in 2010...

linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-wolfe-4295b21a5

Director of North American Motorsports​

Aug 2008 - Feb 20101 year 7 months
Dearborn, Michigan, United States
Accountable for Marketing and Engineering of Motorsports activities (NASCAR, NHRA, NMCA/NMRA, Rally, Pikes Peak and Drifting) and the design, development and sales of Ford Performance Parts.
oh.. development and sales of Ford performance parts... hmmmmmmmm

i know you are on a mission to get this thread locked and you once again are doing a great job..

and yes, i will be doing this swap myself, as everything else ive done to my truck, its not the next/first thing on my plate either..

have you even taken your truck off road once, or just trying to get 600mi per tank?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
once again, you have no idea what i do or dont know.. my comments on a gen3 scab were not incorrect. they have a scab, they have the 5.5 bed.. they need a frame and a driveshaft as major components, but once again Ford has neglected their heritage.. there has always been a scab, and there always should be as long as there is a raptor.
According to who lol? You tell everyone their “opinion doesn’t matter”, and yet every post you’re throwing out your opinion as if it’s a fact. @GordoJay and I explained why your statement was inaccurate and not at all practical, but you continue to argue against the facts because you don’t understand them.
ive heard of brian wolfe plenty of times before this thread, smart guy, forum ambassador and chief name caller in charge. you're right though, a news article i read incorrectly listed him as a former FP director, but in fact he was director of motorsport in 2010...

linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-wolfe-4295b21a5

oh.. development and sales of Ford performance parts... hmmmmmmmm
You claim to be so familiar but you didn’t even know what his job was. Can you ever just admit you were incorrect and move on? You insist on dragging every thread through the mud with your excuses and speculation.
i know you are on a mission to get this thread locked and you once again are doing a great job..

and yes, i will be doing this swap myself, as everything else ive done to my truck, its not the next/first thing on my plate either..

have you even taken your truck off road once, or just trying to get 600mi per tank?
No, I’m simply posting the facts about the engine in question instead pretending it was intended for something other than what it’s exclusively used for, HD truck/bus/van applications.

You said you’re doing the swap, we’ll hold you to it. Be sure to post pics to document the progress.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So say someone does buy a crate 7.3. How do you prime to oil for the first fire up? I saw on one video that on for another ford engine, maybe coyote, that they removed the oil pressure sensor, made up a pressure tank with the correct fitting, and primed the oil system that way. I assume you would do something similar?

I think I heard in that video that ford’s direction was to pulll the spark plugs and crank it for 10 seconds on some interval for a bit and that was considered safe.

Thoughts?