2020 Non B&O Audio Upgrade Sanity Check Request

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RRitch

Reaction score
Sorry, this is going to be a little long, I previously posted about heading down a rabbit hole with the upgrade to my 2020 Non B&O system. It started out as just getting a Kicker Hideaway and quickly morphed into replacing pretty much everything but the Sync 3 head unit. I am adding the Hideaway along with a Kenwood 4 channel amp and replacing all the door speakers. I have not messed with car audio in a long time, and things have changed quite a bit since I did. I went with a PAC active LOC to convert speaker level to low level to input into the amps that I will mount behind the head unit. I also got the PAC T Harness to tap into the factory harness. I am going to run a 4-gauge power feed from the battery with a fuse at the battery to the amp rack behind the back seat, and as of now I am planning to use the factory ground behind the trim panel on the back wall of the cab. I will split the 4-gauge into 2 8-gauge using distribution blocks for both the 12v and ground and will install individual fuses for each amp. I also bought 9 conductor speaker wire to run the speaker feeds back from the amp and tie back into the factory harness behind the head unit, and I have RCA cables to run the audio feeds from the LOC to the amps. I will run the remote from the LOC to turn on both Amps. I have read that the voltage is probably too low to trigger 2 amps, so I am probably going to use a relay and pull power from the main power feed and use the remote to trigger the relay. I should also mention that I have a modest budget to do all of this and I already have blown it as far as I dare, and I know that there is much better equipment than what I have chosen, but I am not going for super high end and crazy SPL I just want something that will play at decent volume and sound good.

Now for my request. I have done a lot of reading and research so I am pretty sure I have it all planned out correctly, but I would appreciate if people with more experience and knowledge than I do could look at the schematic and just confirm I have not screwed something up. One thing of note, I went with the PAC LPA2.4 Active LOC which is 2 channel in and 4 channel out. I did this instead of the 4 in, 4 out because I have read that Ford filters some of the low end on the back channels to avoid distortion with the factory speakers as where the front channels are full range. I plan to use the front channels into the LOC and then send the 4 channels back to the amps. Since I am using a powered subwoofer, I am planning to split the low-level feed for the back channels off the LOC and feed both the 4 channel and sub with it. I also have a question about the ground, I have read that some people recommend running a ground all the way back to the battery because of the aluminum body and others say as long as you tie into a location where a factory ground is you are fine because Ford added a ground bus at those locations. I am not sure which is correct which is why I said for now I am planning to use the factory ground on the back wall of the cab. Here is the wiring schematic I put together laying out how I plan to connect everything. The schematic has all of the models for the equipment, but if anyone wants, I can post a parts list as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1680042722305.png

OP
OP
RRitch

RRitch

Reaction score
I am also starting to second guess my choice for the 4 channel amp. I originally chose the Kenwood KACM-1814 because of price and small footprint, but it is rated at 100w per channel max and 45w RMS. I am now wondering if I should go with something with more power so I am looking at the Pioneer GM-A6704 which about the same price and is 60w RMS. Should I stick with the Kenwood or swap it for the Pioneer and why?

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am also starting to second guess my choice for the 4 channel amp. I originally chose the Kenwood KACM-1814 because of price and small footprint, but it is rated at 100w per channel max and 45w RMS. I am now wondering if I should go with something with more power so I am looking at the Pioneer GM-A6704 which about the same price and is 60w RMS. Should I stick with the Kenwood or swap it for the Pioneer and why?
Have not dealt with Pioneer or Kenwood since I was in my early 20's. Check out this amp...or look at some JL Audio amps. The JL Audio 75x4 will push most speakers nicely. I recall you keeping it somewhat budget so I'm taking that into account here.

OP
OP
RRitch

RRitch

Reaction score
Have not dealt with Pioneer or Kenwood since I was in my early 20's. Check out this amp...or look at some JL Audio amps. The JL Audio 75x4 will push most speakers nicely. I recall you keeping it somewhat budget so I'm taking that into account here.

I looked at the JL Audio and it looks like a nice amp, but over my budget. I went ahead and ordered the Pioneer and am going to return the Kenwood. More power and also has screw terminals for power and speaker connections. The Kenwood has a pig tail with lite wires that can be replaced.

OP
OP
RRitch

RRitch

Reaction score
Since I am swapping the Kenwood for the Pioneer I had to redesign my amp rack. Here is the updated design, I had to make it 8 inches wider to accommodate the bigger amp so it will be 13 inches tall and 32 inches wide. Still should be plenty of room behind the seat for it.

1680118190634.png

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the difference between 45 watts and 60 watts is nothing ,it takes twice the watts to gain 3db I had 2ohm fronts at 250 a channel ,im now running 4ohm at 140 a channel ,its no difference

OP
OP
RRitch

RRitch

Reaction score
Yeah probably not much difference from a sound perspective. I did make the swap to the pioneer but it was more about the build quality and connections in this case.

OP
OP
RRitch

RRitch

Reaction score

Should have just gone with the JL in the first place. Pioneer had a blown channel. Ended up returning it and now have a JL Audio JD400/4 on order to replace it.