Gen 3 Caution: Tailgate Removal and Battery changing causing issues: Fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent point. Pickup tailgates should come off and go back on without issue. So you say “It quit working.” If they ask if you did anything, you say no.
In my specific case after reading about the potential issue I reached back out directly to my linex guy. Since he has the relationship with the local Ford dealer he was the one who called and inquired/told them about the issue. ‘’’he was also able to get me an earlier appointment than I could on my own.

so by default the dealer knew
still bs that they charged him.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Sounds like some designers didn't think about the fact that people can and do take the tailgate off.
I plan to use a rampage powered motorcycle lift that requires the tailgate to be removed and of course I’ll be driving without the tailgate when installed. Ford needs to resolve this issue. I never thought there would be a problem taking a tailgate off a truck. My 22 build date is 11/29 fingers crossed they work a software update to resolve.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to use a rampage powered motorcycle lift that requires the tailgate to be removed and of course I’ll be driving without the tailgate when installed. Ford needs to resolve this issue. I never thought there would be a problem taking a tailgate off a truck. My 22 build date is 11/29 fingers crossed they work a software update to resolve.
Crazy to think tailgate is causing these issues.
hoepfully things do get worked out, but I’m guessing it will be 6 months or so until it gets sorted.

This issue is not specific to just Raptors, but 21 f150’s that have all the same rear sensors etc.

Rampage lifts are awesome.
post up some pics once you get it in your truck.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
True but there are legitimate times/needs to take the tailgate off. Like I want to use a powered lift for my Harley’s. I am sure they will resolve with a software update or something.

TexasTude

Reaction score
I had this exact issue on my Gen3. right after Line-x installed.
Ford service department told me "your door must have been open" :/
issue went away on its own after a week and for good measure service department threw a KB from July at it that covers other warning issues.
Seems good so far. but this is definitely an issue that has been repeated it seems.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is why you should just Ford spray it at the factory.
I’ve had 3 new Ford trucks in the past 2 years (personal and company trucks), all 3 had Ford Factory Spray in liners.

2 out of the 3 had to be redone due to faulty spray in liner from Ford. The two that were bad stared chipping and pealing away both within the first two months of owning them.

At some point in the past few years it seems that Ford must have switched how the prep the beds for the factory liner. I believe I was told they went from physically stuffing the paint to some sort of chemical adhesion promoter, and obviously having issues.

there has even been a few new gen 3 owners on hear complaint of the same issue.

i also feel linex is a mich better product, and holds up better than the factory spray In.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 new Ford trucks in the past 2 years (personal and company trucks), all 3 had Ford Factory Spray in liners.

2 out of the 3 had to be redone due to faulty spray in liner from Ford. The two that were bad stared chipping and pealing away both within the first two months of owning them.

At some point in the past few years it seems that Ford must have switched how the prep the beds for the factory liner. I believe I was told they went from physically stuffing the paint to some sort of chemical adhesion promoter, and obviously having issues.

there has even been a few new gen 3 owners on hear complaint of the same issue.

i also feel linex is a mich better product, and holds up better than the factory spray In.
I have had 3 raptors gen 1-3 all with spray in from the factory and never had an issue. Granted … I just took delivery of my GEN3 so time will tell

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 raptors gen 1-3 all with spray in from the factory and never had an issue. Granted … I just took delivery of my GEN3 so time will tell
hope yours is ok. you Would notice right away around your edges if it was wonky.

I don’t think it’s a huge wide spread issue, but maybe someone got lazy at the factory spraying on a Friday afternoon. one Of mine started chipping off up near the bulkhead. The other was the rear edge near the tailgate.

i purposely scheduled my linex for a Tuesday :p