Gen 3 Caution: Tailgate Removal and Battery changing causing issues: Fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going in for Line-X on Monday. I'll see if the shop is aware of this. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the tailgate? If so, I’m thinking I’ll have them open the tailgate and then lock truck. Then take the fob into the office or something. Don’t bring the fob near the truck until the tailgate is hooked back up.
Not sure if it’s absolutely necessary, but I think it’s become standard practice.

My installer said that he sprayed another 21’ f150:today.
And did basically what you described. Got the truck in position closed and locked the doors then took the key fob into the office. Waited 15 minutes and then went to work.

Said the entire process takes him an extra half hour due to not being able to move the truck in/out of the booth.

I’f your installer isn’t aware send me a message and I’ll get you info from my linex guy.

kev4dez

Reaction score
Guys, just had my Gen3 Line-xed on Wednesday. I mentioned this issue and my shop said they do not remove the tailgate unless they are coating completely down to the edge of the metal. On mine when I got it back they had sprayed about 1/2" down from the corner where the bed ends. On the tailgate they just sprayed to the edge, they did not wrap around the edge. Hope this helps.
Kevin

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, just had my Gen3 Line-xed on Wednesday. I mentioned this issue and my shop said they do not remove the tailgate unless they are coating completely down to the edge of the metal. On mine when I got it back they had sprayed about 1/2" down from the corner where the bed ends. On the tailgate they just sprayed to the edge, they did not wrap around the edge. Hope this helps.
Kevin
Thanks for that info… honestly I didn’t look at how far under the lining wraps on the tailgate side. I’ll take a look today.
im sure each installer is a little different in their process, and before manufactures put all this tech in the tailgates it was easy to just take them off.

but until this issues is addressed def. a safe bet to just not have the tailgate removed

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
**Heres the crappy part:**
Because this issue was caused by someone removing the tailgate it was NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
That's complete crap. A pickup that you can't take the tailgate off of and then drive? People do that all the time. I've done it. And it's a reflash instead of resetting an error code? That's totally lame and it's on Ford. They screwed up the software. They should man up and take responsibility for the fix.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's complete crap. A pickup that you can't take the tailgate off of and then drive? People do that all the time. I've done it. And it's a reflash instead of resetting an error code? That's totally lame and it's on Ford. They screwed up the software. They should man up and take responsibility for the fix.
Yeah I was a little taken back when they said there was a charge. I’ve never seen any warnings or told not to take off the tailgate. I do truly believe this is a screwed up fluke that Ford will fix, but while they work on a more permanent fix they need to 1. Not charge and 2. Warn/let people know.

the current fix is a total reflash of a module, and not just resetting a code.

i honestly feel the worst for my Linex guy. He’s a small business owner that was the one who ultimately footed the bill. I offered to split or help pay and he wouldn’t take anything. But he‘s paying out of pocket plus going to loose money on f150’s he has booked that is going to take him hours longer to spray that he already quoted a price.

JCO

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the work order showed $240, however I’m assuming that was a B2B price.
I’d guess out of pocket would have been 25% more so $300.

I think this price will vary by dealer….
Thanks. Guess my Line X guy and I are gonna have to have a talk…hopefully they’re cool about it.

JCO

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They fixed this issue and the rear seat fan noise in about an hour. Both software issues with TSBs put. No charge.

Edit: added benefit seems to be that the My Gauge configuration doesn’t reset anymore - maybe there was an update that fixed that too.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They fixed this issue and the rear seat fan noise in about an hour. Both software issues with TSBs put. No charge.

Edit: added benefit seems to be that the My Gauge configuration doesn’t reset anymore - maybe there was an update that fixed that too.
Interesting. I have a call into Ford (corporate) inquiring as to why there was a charge for this, and initially was told that the TSB that Relates to this issue specifically states that if the tailgate is removed it is not covered by this tsb. And that tsb is currently the only one in the system that has any mention of the rear park assist. I said that’s BS and asked for further explanation. They are supposed to get back to me.

maybe your dealer did you a solid and just wrote it up under the tsb.

Also my, my gauge configuration still resets each time I start the truck. Dealer claims no fix that they know of yet, other than their suggestion to keep resetting the entire sync system a few times to see if it will hold…

otherwise the fan noise and park assit are working correctly.

JCO

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have a call into Ford (corporate) inquiring as to why there was a charge for this, and initially was told that the TSB that Relates to this issue specifically states that if the tailgate is removed it is not covered by this tsb. And that tsb is currently the only one in the system that has any mention of the rear park assist. I said that’s BS and asked for further explanation. They are supposed to get back to me.

maybe your dealer did you a solid and just wrote it up under the tsb.

Also my, my gauge configuration still resets each time I start the truck. Dealer claims no fix that they know of yet, other than their suggestion to keep resetting the entire sync system a few times to see if it will hold…

otherwise the fan noise and park assit are working correctly.
Yeah I think my dealer is just good people. But I also didn’t make a big deal about telling them why I suspected it occurred, so maybe that had something to do with it

And the gauge thing could be a fluke. Who knows. We’ll see if it continues to work properly.