Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HagleWelding

Reaction score
I just had the catalytic converters replaced at the dealer after months and months of waiting for them to show up. They’ve been plugged up for a while, causing awful smells and poor fuel economy.

Now after the replacement, and I assume any update to the ECU since the last time it visited was October 2021, I’m averaging around 10mpg. I am babying the truck and cruising a highway back and forth from work maybe 5 or so miles.

Full disclosure, I just purchased the truck a month ago from my dad. It’s on 37 KM3s as well.

Attachments

• B12561ED-EE67-4385-BC29-C8E9A32DD71F.jpeg
    B12561ED-EE67-4385-BC29-C8E9A32DD71F.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 79

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These trucks are rated 18 MPG Highway stock, with those tires (40’s?) and the aerodynamics of those front end mods, I could see that decreasing drastically.

What’s been done to the engine? Cats only clog up due to poor quality fuel or overheating, which is typically caused by over fueling or a misfire. So if the root cause has not been determined and corrected, it will happen again.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
37s and 10mpg go together like ham and cheese.

Maybe ask the dealer to perform an adaptive reset, or get a better tune. Others on 37s will be more knowledgable, but it's not uncommon to get 10-11mpg on 35s if you're having fun.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever update the ecu with the bigger tire diameter.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 37s and I get 13-14 on the highway at 75. But I find myself driving in 9th gear due to when I'm in 10th it will want to downshift at every incline. So I just lock it out in 9th then it will down shift to 8th if need. I actually will manually downshift to 8th if I see a nice incline coming up instead of letting the truck try and pull the hill, bog down a bit, lose 2 mph and then down shift. Town and highway driving im closer to 11. But with the E-juice im at 8-9 but so much fun. Haha