Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HagleWelding

HagleWelding

Reaction score
These trucks are rated 18 MPG Highway stock, with those tires (40’s?) and the aerodynamics of those front end mods, I could see that decreasing drastically.

What’s been done to the engine? Cats only clog up due to poor quality fuel or overheating, which is typically caused by over fueling or a misfire. So if the root cause has not been determined and corrected, it will happen again.
Lots and lots of Pemex has been run through this truck down in Baja.

I’m not sure if there’s an aftermarket tune on the truck, but my dad isn’t the kind of guy to go out and try to hop up the engine to trade power for reliability.

I’m just barely getting my feet wet with this whole raptor deal.

Oddly enough my dad mentioned that I should run it in sport around town for better fuel economy, and to my surprise it immediately started reading closer to 12 on a short sample. I’m assuming the shift points are allowing me to run more efficiently instead of lugging the tall gears. Shouldn’t make sense but it’s there.

Going to manually calculate on my next tank of fuel and see where it’s at.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have 37s and get around 10-11 mpg driving 3 hours to work over 2 mountain passes. 13 mpg ish if I just stay in town. I also am running Goose and SVC FMIC.

When were the spark plugs changed last? Stock or did they go a step cooler?

Edit: air filter? Sorry just trying to get a feel on what maintenance has been done.

Welcome to FRF.

#PrimerRaptorsMater

OP
OP
HagleWelding

HagleWelding

Reaction score
I have 37s and get around 10-11 mpg driving 3 hours to work over 2 mountain passes. 13 mpg ish if I just stay in town. I also am running Goose and SVC FMIC.

When were the spark plugs changed last? Stock or did they go a step cooler?

Edit: air filter? Sorry just trying to get a feel on what maintenance has been done.

Welcome to FRF.

#PrimerRaptorsMater
If the book called for it, the service has been done. Going to Baja we don’t cut any corners on maintaining every vehicle down there as it could be a life or death situation.

So with that said, I am not familiar with every detail of this truck and its history of intricacies. But I’m trying to learn the quirks of cam phaser noises and auto-this and any other raptor specifics.

I’m 30 now and I remember being about 16 and absolutely needing out on every detail of my Jeep. Knowing which T case was bitchen, how much stress you can put on each part, etc. With work the way it is I find it hard to get motivated to dive deep. But I’m trying.

I guess on big heavy 37s my MPG is pretty close to the standard going rate. I’ll eat it even though it’s pricey. I can’t go back to 35s and be satisfied. Playing around with 40” TT tires makes a guy jaded.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
No worries, that's why this forum is great. Ask a question and you can get answers. Might have to sort through some of the hazing but you'll get answers.

You seem to know what the truck needs more than most new owners, but for future readers of this thread:

As a general rule, most change their plugs to a step cooler. @GooseTuned Can help you with the correct part number.

Oil changed at 5k miles. Air filter as needed and often. No oiled filters.

Full synthetic oil change every 5k miles at the most.

Sunroof into vent before opening and lube the seals every quarter.

More can be added but check out the maintenance section for other items.

OP, we need more pictures of the race truck.