FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank R

Reaction score
Perhaps, but not likely. My guess is it will involve changes in cam timing parameters on engine shutdown to ensure the phasers lock in position.

was told today by my ford service manager that the update is to increase oil pressure at start up nothing else at this time, he just reminded me to take my tune out or computer wont recognize truck, man its nice to have a manager at ford that likes to keep a secret when you go away from stock.

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently tuned and my guess is it needs to be returned to stock before they reflash it. My question is will the aftermarket tune need to adjusted for the new cam phaser tune?

Donny Rod

Reaction score
So I'm currently tuned and my guess is it needs to be returned to stock before they reflash it. My question is will the aftermarket tune need to adjusted for the new cam phaser tune?
You need to return it to stock. The tuner will need to provide a new tune with the changes. Keep in mind that this isn't for Raptors.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to return it to stock. The tuner will need to provide a new tune with the changes. Keep in mind that this isn't for Raptors.

you are right in “not yet”, but the new tune is coming for the raptors. It looks like oil pressure/feed is really the root cause of these cam phaser fails. This new tune has the prolonged engine turnover before fire... which should help prime the system.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This new tune has the prolonged engine turnover before fire... which should help prime the system.

This may be true, but not sure if simply extending the crank for a few seconds makes much difference. When I've let mine sit for more than 24 hrs (which happens a lot since it's not my DD), I'll hold the pedal to the floor. For the first 8 seconds it will crank w/out enough pressure to move the oil gauge, which is probably triggered pretty low since it still reads even at hot idle. After ~8 seconds the crank automatically stops. I let the starter rest for 10-15 seconds, then crank again, and it's still 1-2 seconds more before the oil gauge moves, and I release the pedal to make it fire. I doubt a 10-12 second crank is in the tune, and until that point it really hasn't built significant oil pressure.

Herk91

Reaction score
For you guys running the 3.5 Eco-boost motors, my advice to you if your not running synthetic oil is to change the oil every 3000-4000 miles. I ran Mobil 1 5w-30 in my Ford Tremor with the 3.5 and never a problem with the cam phasers. I used synthetic starting the first oil change.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you are right in “not yet”, but the new tune is coming for the raptors. It looks like oil pressure/feed is really the root cause of these cam phaser fails. This new tune has the prolonged engine turnover before fire... which should help prime the system.

Where are you coming up with these assertions? The failure mode in the TSB is related to the phasers themselves failing to lock after bleed down. It has absolutely nothing to do with oil pressure or oil feed.

How do you know what’s included with the new tune when it hasn’t even been released yet?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the oil.

I run amsoil signature 5w-30 on my wife's 2018 Lariat (purchased new) and it had cam phasers issue

For you guys running the 3.5 Eco-boost motors, my advice to you if your not running synthetic oil is to change the oil every 3000-4000 miles. I ran Mobil 1 5w-30 in my Ford Tremor with the 3.5 and never a problem with the cam phasers. I used synthetic starting the first oil change.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you coming up with these assertions? The failure mode in the TSB is related to the phasers themselves failing to lock after bleed down. It has absolutely nothing to do with oil pressure or oil feed.

How do you know what’s included with the new tune when it hasn’t even been released yet?

It was posted here a few times of those who had the TSB done - granted in regular 3.5 ecoboost. They stated that the truck had longer cranking before start. It was also said from a ford tech that the new program did make a longer turnover before firing. I personally have no idea what the new tune has - just stating what I have read.