FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donny Rod

Reaction score
I am pleased to hear that it shouldn't affect power.

I don't pretend to know everything. I do try to link concepts together and figure shit out if I can, with the knowledge that I may not have the full picture. Valve timing affects power. Cam phasers affect valve timing. It seemed a strong possibility. But I'm happy to learn and be wrong today.

I am happy to say, you are NOT incorrect. :)

I've compared the stock flash, to the after flash. :cheers:

There are TCM adjustments in that flash as well. Good job on your guess!

Power is affected a bit. Mostly on low load, in higher RPMs.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since cam phasers seem to be issue only at start up maybe valve timing at cold start up? I like you like to have an understanding and figure it out also!

I was thinking the same thing. If these usually fail at start up then maybe reducing the operation of the auto stop/start as well?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
since cam phasers seem to be issue only at start up maybe valve timing at cold start up? I like you like to have an understanding and figure it out also!

The noise is unrelated to cold start valve timing. When the engine is started, the phaser is supposed to be locked at base timing until it is activated by oil pressure from the solenoid. If the phaser failed to lock after the previous shutdown, it will oscillate momentarily until it receives oil pressure. This is why the noise occurs only after a cold soak, on warm starts there is residual oil in the phaser cavities.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The noise is unrelated to cold start valve timing. When the engine is started, the phaser is supposed to be locked at base timing until it is activated by oil pressure from the solenoid. If the phaser failed to lock after the previous shutdown, it will oscillate momentarily until it receives oil pressure. This is why the noise occurs only after a cold soak, on warm starts there is residual oil in the phaser cavities.

Out of curiosity what is the software update made if no noise is present? Something like an extended crank time to give oil pressure a chance to build up more before firing off (SWAG method).

Silly wild ass guess

Donny Rod

Reaction score
Guys have reported extended cranking time after the update as well.

You can also force this yourself, by HOLDING DOWN THE GAS PEDAL WHILE STARTING. This will crank the engine without starting, which helps to build oil pressure.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all suddenly very weird for me...

my truck was in for phaser work in late January. Since I got it back runs like a top, but it seems to crank at least twice as long. Plus my auto start/stop has not engaged once since I got the truck back. I thought it was time for a new battery.

Maybe I am an early adopter test patient (Guiana pig)???

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes... The fabled Guiana Pig beta.
We thank you for your sacrifice.

Can Ford push out updates automatically without notice?

I have noticed an increase in starting time to ignition as well. now going on for nine days. My truck has not been physically in for service since two months ago.

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes... The fabled Guiana Pig beta.
We thank you for your sacrifice.

Can Ford push out updates automatically without notice?

I have noticed an increase in starting time to ignition as well. now going on for nine days. My truck has not been physically in for service since two months ago.

What value would Ford have in pushing out in beta with no ability to analyze the outcome? Unless you think the outcome is "hope he doesn't come back" which wouldn't make sense for the intermediate party (dealer) if the "beta" was somehow detrimental.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What value would Ford have in pushing out in beta with no ability to analyze the outcome? Unless you think the outcome is "hope he doesn't come back" which wouldn't make sense for the intermediate party (dealer) if the "beta" was somehow detrimental.

Zero.
You misunderstood my quoting a previous post.

Pushing a beta would be stupid AF

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is the software update made if no noise is present? Something like an extended crank time to give oil pressure a chance to build up more before firing off (SWAG method).

Silly wild ass guess

Perhaps, but not likely. My guess is it will involve changes in cam timing parameters on engine shutdown to ensure the phasers lock in position.