FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paperwork shows that it is not Raptor specific...yet.... @2018blackscrew has commented the following in another thread:

UPDATE 3/4/21
Took it to another dealer. Regarding both of the engine noises, they think it is related to the cam phasers. Apparently there is a new PCM update for the F150 to address cam phasers. The Raptor update won't be available until May. Ford engineering told them to do the PCM update in May when it's available. If that doesn't fix the issue they will replace the cam phasers. Apparently cam phaser warranty has been extended to 69,000 miles. I'm not sure which models this applies to. The tech seemed to think that a letter may be sent out.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer to have the ride height sensors reset and I asked about this recall and its not ready for them. They have not received the update, at least to my dealer.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WTF is going on here???

An enigma wrapped in a riddle?

The Customer Satisfaction FSA is being released in 2 stages. The first covers select 2017-2020 F-150s with the 3.5. If there is no phaser concern present, they update the software to prevent the issue from occurring. If there is a cam phaser noise concern, they update the software and replace the phasers

The 2nd stage covers F-150 Raptor/Limited, Expedition, and Navigator. The software is expected to be available in May. The same procedure applies; software update and phaser replacement if necessary. Phaser part numbers are still CD level, no change there since they were already updated.

Note that this is not a traditional “recall”, as it’s not safety related. The purpose is to prevent cam phaser failure whether you’re in or out of warranty, hence the software update and warranty extension.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Customer Satisfaction FSA is being released in 2 stages. The first covers select 2017-2020 F-150s with the 3.5. If there is no phaser concern present, they update the software to prevent the issue from occurring. If there is a cam phaser noise concern, they update the software and replace the phasers

The 2nd stage covers F-150 Raptor/Limited, Expedition, and Navigator. The software is expected to be available in May. The same procedure applies; software update and phaser replacement if necessary. Phaser part numbers are still CD level, no change there since they were already updated.

Note that this is not a traditional “recall”, as it’s not safety related. The purpose is to prevent cam phaser failure whether you’re in or out of warranty, hence the software update and warranty extension.

What about those who are running a tune? Flash back to stock, take it in, and then reflash the tune? Or, is a new tune needed to accommodate the changes?

I am asking for a friend... ;)

Neil Casa

Reaction score
Ford Tech One,
I had the phasers on my early build 2019 replaced in april 2020, and they listed a PCM flash on the repair invoice. Do you know if it is the same as the one they are or will be doing? Can you access that info?
Thank You,
Neil

MetalDaze

Reaction score
Ford Tech One,
I had the phasers on my early build 2019 replaced in april 2020, and they listed a PCM flash on the repair invoice. Do you know if it is the same as the one they are or will be doing? Can you access that info?
Thank You,
Neil

I’ll go on a limb and say the current update is different from what you got a year ago. I doubt they have been sitting on the same calibration for that long before releasing. I’m sure something is different.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count me among the curious how a PCM update is going to prevent cam phaser failure. I've got two ideas:

1. It can somehow affect oil pressure or oil delivery to the phasers? I am not familiar with this system, and I have no idea if that is possible.
2. They are going to change the behavior of the phasers regarding the cam timing.

If #2, I bet dollars to donuts it will cause a decrease in power output.

This post brought to you by our sponsor, Wild Speculation.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Tech One,
Thank You,
Neil

The calibration will be new, it’s not yet developed. You already have the updated parts since yours was repaired after 10/19.