FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So... took my truck in for the rattle. They said the cam phasers need to be replaced. Totally forgot i had goostuned it and tons for forescan mods.

truck is scheduled to be done this wed. I assume they saw the tune and reflashed huh?

Probably not, as they wouldn’t have a reason to go looking for it since the concern is covered by a TSB. The TSB does have them update the PCM calibration though, so your tune with be overwritten.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was an engine engineer at Ford we spent a good amount of time on oil pump control revisions last year with the 3.5, that's likely a large part of the update.

Don't ask me for any specifics please, I either don't remember or can't talk about it.

RedRptr

Reaction score
[mention]FordTechOne [/mention] I am pretty sure I saw that 2020s shouldn’t have an issue because they have new parts from the factory, but my wife told me today she heard mine rattle. She is very familiar with it since her 2018 expedition had several repairs to try and eliminate the phaser issues.

What are the chances, you think, of a 2020 needing the repairs? I’ll have a better listen myself tomorrow morning after a cold soak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
[mention]FordTechOne [/mention] I am pretty sure I saw that 2020s shouldn’t have an issue because they have new parts from the factory, but my wife told me today she heard mine rattle. She is very familiar with it since her 2018 expedition had several repairs to try and eliminate the phaser issues.

What are the chances, you think, of a 2020 needing the repairs? I’ll have a better listen myself tomorrow morning after a cold soak.

The TSB includes 2020 F-150 built on or before 10/31/19. So if you have an early build, it’s possible you have the revised part number, but not the latest redesigned part number.

RedRptr

Reaction score
The TSB includes 2020 F-150 built on or before 10/31/19. So if you have an early build, it’s possible you have the revised part number, but not the latest redesigned part number.
My door sticker has 11/19 on it, so for now I’ll breathe a bit easier. At least until I hear a rattle.

Thanks for all that you do and the help you provide everyone.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was an engine engineer at Ford we spent a good amount of time on oil pump control revisions last year with the 3.5, that's likely a large part of the update.

Don't ask me for any specifics please, I either don't remember or can't talk about it.

If you tell us you will have to kill us...

I like it.

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2018, and the CarFax mentioned this specific update. At first I thought it was the whole Cam Phaser replacement, but when I looked at it closer I realized it was just a software update. Was performed in early May, presumably when the dealer first got the vehicle in. Since I don't have a frame of reference on how long it took to crank before the update, I'm not sure I could comment on that part.

So I guess my contribution to this thread is it's in the wild, and it shows up on CarFax.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor built 04/2019 with 30k miles a few thousand miles ago I started hearing a nice metallic rattle for 5 seconds or so on a cold start-up. Guess I need the TSB too and will have it performed at my next synthetic oil change in 4k miles or so. Otherwise, truck runs perfect and I still love it.