FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ManyHobbies

Reaction score
Had the update done a while ago. My Phasers had already started rattling. It started to get worse so I took it back in. Just picked it back up from getting them replaced. Seems to be all good now. Haven’t had any rattles or shudder at all. Loving it. Big shout out to Tomball Ford just outside of Houston TX. They took good care of me and got my truck back on the road quick. Hopefully these new phasers hold up with the new code

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will note these ecoboost motors are not the quietest or best sounding after a cold start. But a few mins into the warmup they will turn into a smooth sounding sewing machine. At least for my two. So all good.
I've noticed this too after a few years of owning my '19. It sounds a little chintzy sounding at cold start-up. Some ticking, light rattles, tapping, and other not very refined noises. But, after it's warmed up, it's super quiet and you barely hearing it running.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed this too after a few years of owning my '19. It sounds a little chintzy sounding at cold start-up. Some ticking, light rattles, tapping, and other not very refined noises. But, after it's warmed up, it's super quiet and you barely hearing it running.
Exactly. Better to be quiet once warmed up. Never liked the sound of a motor with a rod knock or piston slap. Can’t say I’ve ever heard an ecoboost with this condition either.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through 30 pages of this as I received the Ford app messaging for the “recalls”. I just want to say that as always @FordTechOne has been an asset to the forum. Kudos to him.

I also checked as twice now it has felt like my transmission was going to drop while driving on the highway when going to accelerate to pass a vehicle.

I have 15k miles on my 08/19 built 2019 purchased in Feb 2020. I just moved to Texas and my closest dealer is Bob Tommes Ford. I hope they are good and I need to research that as well to see if I’m going to bring my truck in for the update. My truck doesn’t have any phaser noises as of now (knock on wood).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also checked as twice now it has felt like my transmission was going to drop while driving on the highway when going to accelerate to pass a vehicle.
I finally experienced this myself, and found that it’s the result of the tires breaking loose after downshifting. When that occurs the traction control activates and closes the throttle and applies braking. That is why it feels so harsh.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally experienced this myself, and found that it’s the result of the tires breaking loose after downshifting. When that occurs the traction control activates and closes the throttle and applies braking. That is why it feels so harsh.
Very interesting. It made my heart jump a little as it was so unexpected. As always, thank you! I for one have always appreciated your wisdom.

northerner77

Reaction score
just had my recall work done today, 19 with 28k. Shifted odd for the first couple miles, after that seemed fine. They didn’t have to do the second recall for engine shudder, mine seemed fine.

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello everyone just had my cam/phaser done 2nd times all good and quiet but seem to notice a vibration thru gas peddle? anyone else notice this? not blatant but its just something new; doing a weekend trip and little off-road ing so will report back.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is Weird. Got the letter yesterday, Customer Satisfaction Program 21B10, 21n03, and 21N08
Recorded a cold startup this morning. No noticeable sound...compared to others who have posted here.
Called one dealer, they said ignore the letter, but would listen to my video if I brought it in.
Dealer number two scheduled the reflash for this Friday.
Think I'll take door number 2.

Any opinions?
What would you do?

Last edited: